time controlled pop up/display window

dgaberdgaber Member Posts: 13
Hi all,

this is my first post here, so sorry for all the mistakes I'm bound to make...

So.. here's the problem:

we're exporting several reports into Excel. I'd like to create a popup / dialog window which sits on screen for a certain amount of time and warns the user, that data is being generated and sent to Excel... Important - window must close itself, without the use of user clicking on any buttons.

I've tried with .dialog variable, but the only time setting I found was "sleep", which halts the system for pre determined amount of time (not useful in this case).

The other thing I tried is putting .open and .close functions as far apart as I could in Excel codeunit, but they're just not far enough :D

Thanks for your tips :)

best regards,
Denis

Comments

• kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    The dialog is correct way, but it seems that you have done it in some wrong way. If you open it before import and close it after all the code fr exporting is done, it must be enough (if there is some process generating the excel in nonmodal way, but than it is not standard NAV way exporting something into excel).
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • SavatageSavatage Member Posts: 7,142
    You mean something like this..
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQ63cFCPBOQ
    just happened to put it in another post.

Check this progress bar info:
    http://www.mibuso.com/howtoinfo.asp?FileID=17
  • dgaberdgaber Member Posts: 13
    Thank you both for your suggestions.

So let me describe in more details how things work here:
    - we've got a codeunit precoded with Excel export options
    - when generating a Excel export, the codeunit is called, but not always the same functions
    - only thing that gets called for sure everytime in this CU, is ofcourse, function to open Excel (this is where I've put the dialog window)

so, function of opening Excel executes so fast, that dialog window cannot be read. I don't like the sleep function.. it halts the system at this point.

Basic function of this illusive pop up window is to warn the users, that data is being exported to Excel, so that they don't iterrupt to-Excel writing progress. Many of our "fast & furious" users think that nothing is happening and that report didn't generate at all. And they run it over and over again. We've tried to make Excel as a "top" and "active" window... but that generated even more problems, since user were jumping in and out of sheets and thus changing focus cells... and data got scrambled...

Since we've already set up the progress bar with info on data being exported, we'd just like to "issue" a warning window, that Excel type of report is being generated. After a short period of time (10secs max) it should close itself without the need for clicking on any buttons. It must not be there the entire processing time.

Progress bar window is part of Excel codeunit and therefore isn't called for in every report.

I know this isn't any serious problem, but it has to be done, mainly to alert the users that this time around report will be exported to Excel and not to .pdf. And with that done, I might be left with some hair and not in gray color at the end of the year :)

thank you all,

Denis