smart blog?

genericgeneric Member Posts: 511
I saw this post

http://dynamicsuser.net/blogs/vanvugt/a ... idate.aspx

And I didn't want to start the discussion on the blog, because it's the wrong place to discuss it.

But I think it's a stupid blog post.

The whole idea about validate is to mimic the process that a user would do if they entered the data manually.

It's the basic principle of software to reuse existing code that is already written.
Thus you validate unless the code is written incorrectly so that it doesn't work when validating through code. (Which I consider a bug)
Based on my understanding if there is no performance decrease if there is no code on validate trigger.

So what is the drawback to this logic?

Well there will be some performance hit, but performance can be improved. For example onvalidate has a get statement to a record and if you can store it temporary, then you basically skip the get statement.

The disadvantages of not using validate.
Messed up data that is inconsistent and you will find out that you have to validate but it will be too late.
Most beginner programmers do not know when they have to or not have to validate, or how a valid record looks like.
Most customers don’t have license to look and see if there is code behind onvalidate.

The blog didn’t even mention his reason for not validating. All he mentions is that there were performance issues.

I would say performance issues can be solved, but inconsistent data that was created because the field wasn’t validated cannot be solved majority of the time.

I would take consistent data any day over inconsistent data.

I hope I don’t see another blog about running into posting issues related to performance and that you should just populate the Ledgers directly or write your own posting routine. HA!

Comments