Options

What is best to use, message queue, 2009 webservice, or ?

jannavjannav Member Posts: 15
edited 2011-01-22 in NAV Three Tier
Hi,

We would like to synchronize some data with head-office. It looks like we can do this with the NAV 2009 version webservice but what happens if 200 external users sync their data (10-100Kb). I gues it's processed one by one.

We could have the webservice running on the NAV server and from a different IIS server send the outside request to the webservice but then again the IIS would have multiple threads to the webservice, which can only handle ?

With the NAS and a message queue the same, but I thought the request will be placed in the queue, so if the sender doesn't expect a reply, the NAS could (single thread, one by one) process all the received data.

or is there a another option? and thank you for helping out, or even a hint what you use now and why it's best to use or avoid it.

Comments

• Options
    kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    WS in NAV 2009 are multithreaded! They are processed in parallel, if they do not lock each other on data.
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Options
    Thx, for the info :) , have been reading a lot more on this forum and think this would be a normal situation?

200 internet users <---> IIS webservice/normal webpage <
    > NAV 2009 webservice + NAV server

We could remove IIS webservice, but with it, we have an extra step, but also more security and we can use IIS compression to send data back quickly.

Is this setup multithreaded too? If 10 users all submit a (read) request on IIS, then 10 request are made to the NAV 2009 webservice and start all in at the same time?

Sorry for all the questions, of course I will read on on this forum.
  • Options
    kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    Yes, the NAV 2009 webservices are multithreaded, thus this solution is multithreaded too. Of course, depends on what you are doing in NAV with the webservices. If it is something locking tables, the threads will be waiting like any other clients. Allowing 200 users to connect to the NAV DB could be possible performance issue, but again, it depends on what they will be doing...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Options
    kine wrote:
    Yes, the NAV 2009 webservices are multithreaded, thus this solution is multithreaded too. Of course, depends on what you are doing in NAV with the webservices. If it is something locking tables, the threads will be waiting like any other clients. Allowing 200 users to connect to the NAV DB could be possible performance issue, but again, it depends on what they will be doing...

Thanks for the update Kine..

Because I needed to implement a webservice in NAV4.0 I've used this one: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/nav/archive/200 ... v-5-0.aspx
    and it's very stable (knock on wood). I guess it's not multithreaded?