Options

Getting Navision to recognise USB devices

TESDarrenATESDarrenA Member Posts: 11
edited 2011-01-13 in NAV Three Tier
Hi,

I am trying to find out if Navision can recognise USB Devices.

My problem is that a client wants to do stock takes using a barcode scanning device which will create an xml file which I will read in but I want it to be as easy as possible for the user.

Saying that, what I am trying to achieve is that they go along scanning etc, they go back to the computer, simply plug it in and Navision can do the rest.

Has anyone seen anything / used anything like this before?

Cheers in advance

Comments

• Options
    deV.chdeV.ch Member Posts: 543
    I haven't heard of such a thing, but if you're working with RTC i could think of a client-addin which is located in the rolecenter or on a page you need to start before pluging in. in .net you could simply look for usb devices and your xml file. then you can raise a client-addin event and send the xml-data to NAV.
  • Options
    kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    All depends on how the scanner could be handled. If it works in same way as with e.g. PDA, you can set windows to sync the files from the device into predefined folder on PC. Than you need to just read the file from there and process it, after that move it or delete it.

If it doesn't work in this way, than I assume that the scanner have own application to move the file somewhere (if it is not available as a removable disc).
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.