How to UpGrade from Nav 2009 to Nav R2?

virenpvirenp Member Posts: 49
Hi Experts,
Please let me know the steps to Upgarde from Nav 2009 to Nav R2.

Thanks,

Comments

• krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,110
    On the DVD, you find some documents that explain what to do.

But if you want to do a technical upgrade only, generally you just need to open the DB with the new client and it asks to convert it. BUT BEFORE you do this, backup the DB! After the upgrade, you cannot open the DB anymore with an old client. If you have NAS (or native server or Dynamics server) you need also to upgrade those executables
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!

• mark_aumark_au Member Posts: 40
    You should be aware that a 'technical upgrade' (now called 'solution upgrade' i believe!) from 2009 to 2009 SP1 or R2 is not an officially supported environment. There's a mention of it on the product download page for NAV 2009 SP1, which mentions something along the lines of 'you need to fully upgrade (including application objects) from 2009 to 2009 SP1'.

It is possible though, just there are challenges with the changes in the RTC and Web Services between 2009 and 2009 SP1 which you'll need to deal with, I think someone wrote a blog on that though?

If you want to go to R2 it's just a matter of using the R2 client, and if you want the new features in R2, the database on the R2 product DVD. Only thing you need to be aware of is you'll probably need to refresh your Partner License using an R2 database, and the new R2 features are not included for customers on the module based license, you'll get an error regular because of some new triggers in CU1 for the CRM and Payment functionality:

https://mbs.microsoft.com/partnersource ... ec2010.htm
    Note that new functionality for Microsoft Dynamics CRM Integration and Payment Service for Microsoft Dynamics NAV will not be released to the Module Based Licensing model. Customers interested in obtaining these modules and functionality components are encouraged to move to Business Ready Licensing (going through a License Model Transition process).

Hope that helps :)
  • krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,110
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!

• BeliasBelias Member Posts: 2,998
    mark_au wrote:
    You should be aware that a 'technical upgrade' (now called 'solution upgrade' i believe!)
    I've heard at a meeting in MS italy (kriki was there, too: he should be able to confirm this) from a MS employee, that moving from SP1 to R2 is not considered as tech upgrade, thus it IS supported by MS.
    This was the answer i received after my specific question, so i guess i understood correctly what did he say.
    -Mirko-
    "Never memorize what you can easily find in a book".....Or Mibuso
    My Blog
  • mark_aumark_au Member Posts: 40
    Belias wrote:
    mark_au wrote:
    You should be aware that a 'technical upgrade' (now called 'solution upgrade' i believe!)
    I've heard at a meeting in MS italy (kriki was there, too: he should be able to confirm this) from a MS employee, that moving from SP1 to R2 is not considered as tech upgrade, thus it IS supported by MS.
    This was the answer i received after my specific question, so i guess i understood correctly what did he say.

That's correct, sorry I should have been more clear, the issue is having 2009 (no Service Pack) objects with an SP1 or R2 executable which makes an unsuppored environment. Having the SP1 objects with an R2 executable however is fine, and in fact the R2 database is barely more than the SP1 database! All the details are found on MSDN, this page is also linked in Waldos blog post which gives a brilliant summary:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg502497.aspx