Can't run NAV 2009 SP1 Setup to Uninstall

davesdaves Member Posts: 49
My problem: I can't uninstall NAV 2009 SP1.

I want to install NAV 2009 R2. Of course, first I must uninstall NAV 2009 SP1. This is my personal Win 7 development system, a laptop with 4 GB memory, Win7 Professional 64 bit, 500GB disk.

When setup.exe is invoked, it asks "Do you want to allow the following program to make changes to this computer?" - the program being setup.exe. Upon approval, there 1 to 2 seconds of activity then nothing. I've tried running setup.exe from autorun menu, directly (as administrator), from a fresh copy of the distribution loaded onto the system, from a DVD copy of the distribution (the last two both tested on another system and worked fine there). I have a month old full backup from which I have restored several times in the course of all this testing (so that one bad test doesn't pollute the system permanently). Unfortunately, I don't have a backup prior to installing SP1.

SP1 was installed a year ago. The machine was used sparingly as I have been working on other systems most of the time. I've tried everything I can think of without success over the last couple of weeks. I've been referred to KB 290301 and KB 2438651. None of the suggestions there worked. I've tried uninstalling from the Control Panel > Programs and Features option - that just yields a momentary hourglass display, then nothing.

I have downloaded and tried at least three utility uninstallers. Two of them seemed to work except that R2 still found evidence of SP1 hiding in a corner. So I restored from my month old backup and tried something else.

Any suggestions? If I can't solve this gracefully, I'll have to rebuild the system (or give it to someone for Facebooking).
Dave Studebaker
Co-Founder Liberty Grove Software
Author: Programming Microsoft Dynamics NAV (V5.0), 2009, 2013

Answers

• DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,305
    Sounds to me like perhaps a hotfix was not completely applied (perhaps you have NAS installed as well as classic client, then you applied a hotfix to the client only, and when the system tried uninstalling it only grabbed the older files). I'd try reinstalling SP1 and select just about every option in there. Once that's complete do an uninstall. My thought is that by installing a full SP1 version, that will replace any inconsistent files with the ones in that one installer, and when you uninstall from there it picks up everything. Just grasping at straws here though.

Then if that succeeds, try installing R2 again. If that fails, you have my address, I'm sure we can find someone to facebook around my house :)
  • davesdaves Member Posts: 49
    Hi Daniel,

Your thought about some update not completing might have merit, but the solution turned out to be one of those million little things you have to try. This one was suggested by Chris Myers, a Liberty Grove Associate who does a lot of work with the systems on which NAV depends. Chris suggested that I try turning off User Account Control. Bingo! That worked like a charm. I'm sorry glad to say that I won't be donating a Facebook system to your household. :D

FYI: Because the uninstall is part of the same function as the install, the idea of trying to reinstall or repair had been blocked by the same thing that blocked the uninstall. In the end, I have no idea what the "real" cause was, I'm just grateful to have gotten past it.
    Dave Studebaker
    Co-Founder Liberty Grove Software
    Author: Programming Microsoft Dynamics NAV (V5.0), 2009, 2013
  • DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,305
    I'm sorry glad you got your laptop running the way you want it :mrgreen:
  • krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,110
    [Topic moved from 'Navision Financials' forum to 'NAV/Navision Classic Client' forum]
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!