Re: Data Conversion from Nav 3.70 to Nav 2009 SP1

RavikandulaRavikandula Member Posts: 42
Hi,

My client is using Nav 3.70 and now they want to upgrade to NAV 2009 SP1.
They are having 5 years data and all the data as to upgrade to NAV 2009 SP1.

Please help me how to do data conversion from 3.70 version to NAV 2009 SP1.

From.
Ravi Kandula.
Microsoft Dynamics-NAV Finance Consultant.

Comments

• ssinglassingla Member Posts: 2,973
    NAV 2009 DVD have the required information to migrate the data when doing the upgradation. Consult some technical consultant in your company on the ways to acheive it.
    For sure it is possible.
    CA Sandeep Singla
    http://ssdynamics.co.in
  • shogan@mila.ieshogan@mila.ie Member Posts: 113
    I upgraded from NAV 3.01A to NAV 5.0 SP1 last summer, albeit in native (non-SQL) mode.

You are going to have to do at least two upgrades - from 3.70 to 4.0 and then from 4.0 to 2009. Sadly you won't be able to avoid the two upgrades.

I would highly suggest that you have a test box with the 3.7, 4.0 and 2009 clients installed (and servers two if you want to test on your network with several people simultaneously).

If you are building a 'server' to handle all of this, spread your .fbd file over multiple hard disks, and throw lots of RAM at it. The faster the CPU the better. Try building a PC with XP SP3 on it from scratch, fully patch it and install MS Security Essentials. You only want the bare minimum.

Few things to note:

1. Printer Selections may have changed (the Ne: number has disappeared that used to be in version 3.01).
    2. anything in a SHELL command will need to be recoded.
    3. If you used the Job Scheduler, you will now need the NAS server service installed, and study up on 'Job Queues'.

I would do your upgrade several times. Time every point in the upgrade quick guides. Aim for a long weekend to give yourself time in case anything goes wrong. It's so easy to miss a step. Not all steps are necessary, so you might be able to trim down time (in my case, running the NAV tests on the DB were spread out over a week on the live system before the upgrade). Don't upgrade on the live server - do it on the fast PC already mentioned. When you are happy, transfer it to the server. At least you and your company have something to go back to if the upgrade fails.

Hope this all helps. Let me know if I can be of any more help.