The scheme of CU 80 and 90 needed.

Maria-SMaria-S Member Posts: 90
Hello experts! Happy New Year to all!

I am now start digging in the CU 80 and 90 to understand more deeply what happens there. It seems very complicated.
Maybe there is already exist a nice picture or scheme that shows what these CUs doing? :wink:
Please, kindly advise where I can get it. Otherwise I will be creating my own till the end of time ))

Thanks for your attention.

Comments

• Luc_VanDyckLuc_VanDyck Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 3,633
    This is discussed in Mark Brummel's book: https://www.packtpub.com/microsoft-dyna ... esign/book .

But as he writes on page 83
    The codeunit also has the Test Near, Test Far, Do it and Cleanup strategy so the first code is to make sure that everything is in place before the actual posting starts. Let's have a look at how this codeunit is structured.

The Sales-Post codeunit is too long to discuss in detail. We will focus on the most important parts and learning how to read this type of code routines.
    it's a long story ;-)
    No support using PM or e-mail - Please use this forum. BC TechDays 2024: 13 & 14 June 2024, Antwerp (Belgium)
  • Maria-SMaria-S Member Posts: 90
    Thank you for the quick answer, Luc.
    it's a long story
    Yeah, it seems so. The book seems to be a help, but unfortunately I'm too greedy to buy it :roll:
    Actually, I will have a job interview soon, and I've heard that they ask questions like "What happens in CU 80?". I need to be ready. So... will dig until get tired :lol:
  • matttraxmatttrax Member Posts: 2,309
    There is also a discussion in the Development II course material about how to write your own posting codeunit. They cover all of the same things, it's just that Codeunits 80 and 90 take it to another level. The course material is a great introduction to what is happening.
    Thank you, mattrax.
  • kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    Maria-S wrote:
    Thank you for the quick answer, Luc.
    it's a long story
    Yeah, it seems so. The book seems to be a help, but unfortunately I'm too greedy to buy it :roll:
    Actually, I will have a job interview soon, and I've heard that they ask questions like "What happens in CU 80?". I need to be ready. So... will dig until get tired :lol:

And are you sure that they expect answer like "in CU 80 there is function this and this and func1 is doing this and func2 is doing that..." or just "in CU 80 sales documents are posted..."... ;-)
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
    Hello kine!

It was funny :) As I intended, I started to dig into the CU 80. In the beginning I was digging really deep, I checked all the unknown fields and functions that I met in the code... But after some time I've got tired and find myself only on PostJobContractLine line of code, that is less that one third of all code in CU80. Then I realized that if I want to finish before the end of universe, I need to be more relaxed and less in-detail. :) So the remaining part of CU I just scrolled down to identify what happens in general.
    And are you sure that they expect answer like "in CU 80 there is function this and this and func1 is doing this and func2 is doing that..." or just "in CU 80 sales documents are posted..."... ;)
    I think they expect me to start from the second variant you mentioned, and give more details about what entries are created during the CU 80 run. Think they expect something like the following:

In CU 80 sales documents are posted.
    First of all the program tests everything (like customer is not blocked, all neseccary fields are filled).
    Then it creates posted headers.
    Then, if there are lines with type "Resource" of "FA", it creates Job, Res, or FA entries. If line type is "Item", it creates ILE entry (by calling appropriate posting routine).
    Then posted lines are created;
    Then G/L and VAT entries are created by creating gen journal lines and posting them.
    Then Customer Ledger Entries are created.
    Then old sales lines and header are modified or deleted;
    Then Inventory Adjustment takes place if needed.
    The last thing that CU80 does is update Analysis View.

BTW, how to become real consultant, if I am just a developer, who can just read technical specs and code according to them? ;)
    My first step is to switch to the firm that has its own consultants, and see what they are and what they need to be. My current firm workes as partner for the partners, and we have not own consultants at all.
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    Maria-S wrote:

BTW, how to become real consultant, if I am just a developer, who can just read technical specs and code according to them? ;)
    My first step is to switch to the firm that has its own consultants, and see what they are and what they need to be. My current firm workes as partner for the partners, and we have not own consultants at all.

I think that step one is to realize that it is not free in terms of money or time. You say you wont pay for learning materials. How stupid is that. Marks book may have saved you many many hours of study, yet the cost would be less than an hour of your lost time.

False economies wont help you, and in the future how will it help you customers if you are advising them to do like you do, and they save $1.00 but it ends out costing them $5.00
    David Singleton
    Hello David!
    I think that step one is to realize that it is not free in terms of money or time. You say you wont pay for learning materials. How stupid is that. Marks book may have saved you many many hours of study, yet the cost would be less than an hour of your lost time.
    Sorry for misleading you, I actually already spent some money on education purposes, mean I passed three NAV exams by my own costs. I said that I wont pay for the book because I did not know if it is really what I need (in the previous posts it sounded like "you can try this, but I am not sure it will fit you need"). Now, when you confirmed that that book will be helpful for me - I will most likely buy it (at least to be able to say "oh, this is the book David Singleton recommended me :roll:" ).

Than you for advise :)
    Maria-S wrote:
    Sorry for misleading you, I actually already spent some money on education purposes, mean I passed three NAV exams by my own costs.

What has passing exams got to do with learning Navision? :-k

I have not yet read Marks book, but I know Mark, and am certain that if he wrote a book, then it will help anyone that reads it.
    David Singleton
    Anyway, it is very good that you want to make the effort to learn Navision. the starting point is to learn about posting and processing documents.

Start by learning everything there is to know about posting invoices inventory etc.

use Navigate to analyze what was posted.
    David Singleton
  • kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    Even the Development II documentation have part about the posting codeunits where is written that there are some parts of the process like far test, near test etc...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.