NAS as Service failed in some database

sutonosutono Member Posts: 8
Hi guys
I need some help
I have situation, I run NAS 5.0 (servicepack 1) on 2 different databases (SQL Server databases), and get 2 different results.
On database1 I run NAS as SERVICE and success...
On database2 I run NAS as APPLICATION success, but FAILED when run as SERVICE with "...The combination of user ID and password entered is invalid. Try again... "
I've run that scenario on 3 different environments with same results
1. Windows 7 + SQL 2008
2. Windows 2003 Server R2 + SQL 2008
3. Windows 2008 R2 (64bit) + SQL 2008

Please help me, thanks in advance

Comments

• ta5ta5 Member Posts: 1,164
    Hello

I guess you mean NAS=Navision Application Server, don't you?
    In Navision, just add the same windows login and the appropriate roles to the user, that is running the NAS Service or NAS Application.
    Hope this helps.
    Thomas
  • sutonosutono Member Posts: 8
    Hi ta5,
    Thanks for your quick reply,
    Yes, NAS = Navision Application Server.
    I did add user 'Network Service' and my login name (2 users) both with 'dbowner' role membership to both databases.
    But the results is quite different, with Database1, NAS service runs successfully. With Database2, NAS runs as application but failed as service.....
    Any idea?

Thx
    Hi
    The failed application, do you mean started from command prompt? In this case, the NAS tries to connect to NAV db with in the user context of the command prompt box. Why do you want to start from command prompt?

Regards
    Thomas
    Hi,
    I start from command prompt because it failed when start from Nav App Mgr. So I want to make sure that the database is ok (and it seems ok). What strange to me is, the message indicates the service user (Network Service) failed to login to SQL Server (with database2), mean while, it success fully logged in with Database1.
    The message is ......The combination of user ID and password entered is invalid.....
    Any suggestion

thx
    Hi Sutono

I think, if you start from command prompt the user is not service user (Network Service) but the windows user you are logged in on that machine. Remember: NAS can login with windows login only, so a windows login with a proper role must be defined in Nav.

By the way, did you also perform "Synchronize Logins" in Nav for the DB2.

Hope this helps, and good luck for 2011 :)
    Thomas
    Hi Thomas,
    I did Sync login.
    I think, when we run NAS as service, the user (by default) will be Network Service. But when it run as standard application (without InstallAsService) the user will be Windows user logged in (who starts the program).
    And what make me dizzy is, with same command works on Database1 (I use batch file (.cmd) to start the NAS)

help..help...help...
    ](*,) ](*,)

thx
  • kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    When you added the user, you were talking only about SQL user or about Windows user added into NAV with SUPER role? ;-)
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
    Hi,

Sorry for being posting late....
    btw, happy new year 2 u 2

I added database login and windows login, and give' network service' user navision's role 'Super'. And as I said before, my NAS works fine with database1 (with same setting as database2).