NAS Time-out Threshold

slowhandfanslowhandfan Member Posts: 56
I have a customer that we wrote a polling routine for. Under the NAS, the system (at midnight) goes thru a store file, and looks for data to be polled in a particular directory at the store register, which is on the client VPN. The code reads one record at a time if there is a file to be polled, and when finished reading the file, it issues a RENAME command to move the file from the register, and to the corporate server(for archiving). It works 99% of the time.

Every now and then, one of there connections slows to a ping speed of about 500-600 millisec. There is nothing I can do about that. When this happens, the reading of the file still works, but the RENAME command fails. It appears the NAS times out because the RENAME command has to copy the entire file, and on the slow connection, it takes too long.

Is there a way to alter how long the NAS will wait for a return before it times out? Can it be increased?

Thx for your help

Scott aka SLOWHANDFAN

Comments

• DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,305
    I've never used RENAME on the file virtual table so I don't know how that would compare as far as performance. For moving files I've used the "'Windows Script Host Object Model'.FileSystemObject" automation, and that seemed to be very fast. At least I have not heard any feedback about time outs.