NAV 2009 sp1 objects to NAV 2009 R2 warning message

aavioaavio Member Posts: 143
upon importing NAV 2009 sp1 version objects(50000 series) to NAV 2009 R2 am getting a warning message(plz check the attachment)
any idea of the consequences??
aav!o

Comments

• matttraxmatttrax Member Posts: 2,309
    Have you even been using the RTC and gotten a similar message? I forget what it says exactly, but it's similar to " the process cannot continue because Object X is in a failed state". I would imagine something similar could happen here.

But it's a dev database, right? :lol: What could it hurt if you have a backup.
  • aavioaavio Member Posts: 143
    no its in classic client only.

yes i hav backup.
    but just curious to know about reason for this error. :-k

will it be because of lock unlock functionality in new R2 objects???
    aav!o
  • BeliasBelias Member Posts: 2,998
    aavio wrote:
    no its in classic client only.

yes i hav backup.
    but just curious to know about reason for this error. :-k

will it be because of lock unlock functionality in new R2 objects???
    no, it's not because of the lock unlock...i think it's just a warning message that we haven't before...i wouldn't care about it...just import and recompile (i think nav automatically recompile them)
    -Mirko-
    "Never memorize what you can easily find in a book".....Or Mibuso
    My Blog
  • dmccraedmccrae Member, Microsoft Employee Posts: 144
    It is not an error, but a warning, new in R2 (and not related to lock/unlock).

The reason for the warning is that:

a) Your fob file does not contain the c# and metadata needed for the NAV Server, because for example ít was exported from a Native database version of c/side, OR
    b) Your fob contains the c# and metadata, but exported from a previous version of NAV (in this case, not R2), and therefore the formats are not compatible with the current (R2) version.

If a) or b) is true, and you therefore get this warning, it will mean that the c# and metadata need to be regenerated automatically by recompling the objects in the .fob. This might not be a problem - usually isn't - but one situation can occur: if the compilation fails because there is a .com or .net reference missing on the machine where the .fob is being imported, the object(s) in error will not be available for execution, by anyone, on the NAV Server. That might mean the NAV Server is not available to any user, if the object is a core one; or it might mean only that an area of the application is not runnable. Either way, this could be a severe problem in a running system.

Note that this is not a new problem or situation in R2, the problem has always been there and re-compilation has always happened automatically. The difference now is simply that the warning message appears alerting to the fact the re-compilation is necessary.

I suggest that if this warning appears, you ensure that there is a backup of the database available (NAV or SQL), or that you make such a backup before proceding with Yes.
    Dean McCrae - Senior Software Developer, NAV Server & Tools

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.