hotcopy

Horse06Horse06 Member Posts: 496
Hi expert,

I find the file hotcopy.exe in the program file of the database server. If I run the file, is it safe? Since it is located in the server and it is the first time for me to do it, I am a little timid. What do I have to pay attention to when running the file? Thank you!

Comments

• ta5ta5 Member Posts: 1,164
    Hi
    It it used for scheduler based backups.
    Have a look into w1w1bkup.pdf, its part of the installation in Versions < 2009, on 2009 I dont know.
    Hope this helps.
    Thomas
  • kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    You can use it only for native db. It is doing on-line database file copy with db checks. Could b scheduled by scheduler.
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Horse06Horse06 Member Posts: 496
    Thank you for the experts' advice! We are using SQL Server and we using sql server to back up all the time. So we don't need hotcopy. If we move the backup files (database file and log file) to another server and configure them from the SQL server on the new machine, is there anything that need to pay attention to? Appreciate it!
  • krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,110
    You can't restore a backup made on a version (e.g. SQL2008) on an older version of SQL (e.g. SQL2005).
    You also have problems if you are using SQL2008 Enterprise edition with backup compression or row or page compression and you want to restore to a SQL2008 Standard edition.
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!

• bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    You also need to transfer your SQL logins to the second system.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/918992/
    There are no bugs - only undocumented features.