Options

IDEA :Navision documentation Project

MBergerMBerger Member Posts: 413
After having programmed in Navision for a few months now, i am following the application and solution developer courses.

To be frank, i am appalled by the lack of proper documentation about Navision's standard functionality ](*,) . Ok, the programming language itself is quite well documented in the C/Side help file, but it is the documentation of the functionality in the Codeunits i am talking about ( which as you al know, is non-existant ).
If you consider the emphasis that is placed on documenting your bespoke work in navision, i am even further appalled by the fact that it itself is NOT documented.

My idea is that we set up a Navision Documentation Project, in which the functionality of the application can be gathered. Ok, i know this is a huge task, but considering the combined knowledge of the developers on this forum it must be possible to at least document some of the standard codeunits. It doesn't have to be much, but a few lines of text about what a particular function does, and some explanation about it's parameters ( if any) would be very helpfull to everyone, IMHO.

For gathering this information, i was thinking in the lines of a Navision Wiki. This would allow anyone to contribute to the project.

Problem is, I don't have the time and resources to setup a project like this ( i would like to contribute, as soon as i have a better understanding of Navision ), but maybe there are people who could do something to make this idea work.

Any comments on this idea are welcome !

Comments

• Options
    ArhontisArhontis Member Posts: 667
    The lack of documentation has really trouble all of us.
    The thing that troubles me is the versioning of navision and the localization. It should be considered from the beginning.

By the way, what is that 'Navision Wiki'?

It is certain that you can count on my contribution, I am not that experienced (one year on Navsion 3.60, 3.70), but I know about searching in hundrends of lines... 8-[
  • Options
    MBergerMBerger Member Posts: 413
    Wiki is a open source platform for entering articles. It is difficult to explain, but just take a look a the wikipedia ( http://www.wikipedia.com ), an online encyclopedia where anyone can contribute ( although it is moderated ).