Exe upgrade to which version?

genericgeneric Member Posts: 511
Hello
We have run into an issue with 4.0 executables and will require exe upgrade. I've looked at waldo platform history and every version has hotfixes and bugs fixed.

http://dynamicsuser.net/blogs/waldo/arc ... ted-5.aspx

So I don't know to which version to upgrade. We will have to thoroughly test the new exe since it's used in multiple countries and in many integration with NAS. I don't want to choose one version and then run into issues during testing and use a newer version or hope that we don't run into the same bugs fixed in newer versions. So which version should we go with?

Also it needs to be part of the installation so that we can install it on the clients instead of selecting version 5.0 and then apply some hotfixes (exe/dll) on top of it. Should we just wait for 2009 R2?

Comments

• Luc_VanDyckLuc_VanDyck Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 3,633
    NAV 2009 R2 should be available for download on Partnersource from 20 Dec 2010. So if you can wait a few days ...
    No support using PM or e-mail - Please use this forum. BC TechDays 2024: 13 & 14 June 2024, Antwerp (Belgium)
  • BeliasBelias Member Posts: 2,998
    NAV 2009 R2 should be available for download on Partnersource from 20 Dec 2010. So if you can wait a few days ...
    isn't it on 15 december?or have they shifted some days?
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/nav/archive/2010/11/22/microsoft-dynamics-nav-2009-r2-announcing-the-date-for-worldwide-general-availability-december-15-2010.aspx
    -Mirko-
    "Never memorize what you can easily find in a book".....Or Mibuso
    My Blog
  • ssinglassingla Member Posts: 2,973

Is there a document that says so...
    Release date 15th Dec 2010.
    Download date: 20th Dec 2010 :-k
    CA Sandeep Singla
    http://ssdynamics.co.in
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    generic wrote:
    Hello
    We have run into an issue with 4.0 executables and will require exe upgrade. I've looked at waldo platform history and every version has hotfixes and bugs fixed.

http://dynamicsuser.net/blogs/waldo/arc ... ted-5.aspx

So I don't know to which version to upgrade. We will have to thoroughly test the new exe since it's used in multiple countries and in many integration with NAS. I don't want to choose one version and then run into issues during testing and use a newer version or hope that we don't run into the same bugs fixed in newer versions. So which version should we go with?

Also it needs to be part of the installation so that we can install it on the clients instead of selecting version 5.0 and then apply some hotfixes (exe/dll) on top of it. Should we just wait for 2009 R2?

The SQL integration from 4.00 to 2009 has changed dramatically. You could wind up with a lot of performance issues that can only be fixed with code changes. In your case you will need to roll these out to every country and test each individual object set. I am sure you realize this, but just keep this at the fore front.

I had a client recently, 5.00 objects on 5.00sp1 exe, their partner upgraded the exe to 5.00sp1Cu2 and the system just slowed to an absolute crawl. It's only a 15 user system.
    David Singleton
  • Luc_VanDyckLuc_VanDyck Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 3,633
    Belias wrote:
    isn't it on 15 december?or have they shifted some days?
    See https://mbs.microsoft.com/partnersource ... 09wlvm.htm
    Microsoft Dynamics NAV 2009 R2 W1 VM will be available for download in the week of December 20th, 2010.

EDIT: OK, they are talking about VM here. Sorry for the confusion. But I don't like it that the VM is now only available for Hyper-V ](*,)
    No support using PM or e-mail - Please use this forum. BC TechDays 2024: 13 & 14 June 2024, Antwerp (Belgium)
  • genericgeneric Member Posts: 511
    David
    Yes there will be some code changes required one of them "Case" statement are case sensitive and the two forms that are used in std nav analysis by dim and inventory analysis by dim need to changed.
    generic wrote:
    David
    Yes there will be some code changes required one of them "Case" statement are case sensitive and the two forms that are used in std nav analysis by dim and inventory analysis by dim need to changed.

Well those are pretty trivial things. I was thinking more of performance issues.
    David Singleton
  • Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    EDIT: OK, they are talking about VM here. Sorry for the confusion. But I don't like it that the VM is now only available for Hyper-V ](*,)

That's like asking Microsoft to develope NAV to run on Oracle. :wink:
    Alex Chow wrote:

That's like asking Microsoft to develope NAV to run on Oracle. :wink:

Not at all.

Virtual PC is a Microsoft product just like Hyper-V. My laptop does not run Server 2008, so I can't run Hyper-V so I can't use the VM.

I agree with Luc that this is not good and I also don't like it.
    David Singleton