idle time in session

sojansojan Member Posts: 5
when we process a report, suppose it may take 2 hours. the idle time in session shows 2 hours. but we need the idle time 0. since the procees is in progress, why the idle time increases. can anybody help.

Comments

• kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    All depends if there is communication between client and DB server. If you are processing the data only in your temporary table etc., there is no communication and thus the idle time is raising. Try to read something from the DB in some periods to prevent that.
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    Why do you need "Idle Time = 0"? If you ae looking to check if the client is still active then look at "Last Batch". Compare this to current time. It will tell you how long it has been since the client accessed the database.
    There are no bugs - only undocumented features.
  • ssinglassingla Member Posts: 2,973
    Maybe "Session Killer" is terminating the session and process?
    CA Sandeep Singla
    http://ssdynamics.co.in
  • bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    ssingla wrote:
    Maybe "Session Killer" is terminating the session and process?

My point exactly. A "Session Killer" should be looking at "Last Batch" (compared to current time) not "Idle Time". What it does is look at how long it has been since the connection did something. Not that it's not doing anything now.
    There are no bugs - only undocumented features.
    "Last Batch" (compared to current time) not "Idle Time"

It is same. Idle Time is calculated as "Current Time" - " Last Batch" .... ;-)
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    Or just train the users to log out when they finish working.

Any code you write to avoid training will end out costing more than just training the users.
    David Singleton
  • sojansojan Member Posts: 5
    bbrown wrote:
    Why do you need "Idle Time = 0"? If you ae looking to check if the client is still active then look at "Last Batch". Compare this to current time. It will tell you how long it has been since the client accessed the database.

thanks for your information, but how can we findout the last batch.
    You do not need that. It is used in the view to calc idle time. If the session should look like active, it needs to communicate with server.
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.