50 companies in 1 database. Realistic?

hangyhangy Member Posts: 12
Hello all,

I've a "problem" with one of our client: This cleint ask me to create about 50 companies on the same SQL (2008R2) database.
Theses companies will have only a little size of datas (only financial datas).

I know that SQL server is able to manage a quantity of items like that but that's only theoretical values.

Except the time to create a strucuture like this one (imagine 50 time restore and rename company), can you tell me if you see some trouble to create a strucuture like that?

Many thanks in advance for your quick answer. :thumbsup:
Tout ce qui ne tue pas rend plus fort !

Comments

• Marije_BrummelMarije_Brummel Member, Moderators Design Patterns Posts: 4,262
    Nope. no problem.

One of my customers has 2500 companies in 1 DB.

Just be carefull with a reindex job.
  • hangyhangy Member Posts: 12
    Thanks for your answer Mark 8)
  • einsTeIn.NETeinsTeIn.NET Member Posts: 1,050
    No problem from a technical point of view.
    hangy wrote:
    I've a "problem" with one of our client: This cleint ask me to create about 50 companies on the same SQL (2008R2) database.
    But I would ask why he asked? Does his company group consists of 50 companies? Or does he want to depict something else? Is it a workaround?
    "Money is likewise the greatest chance and the greatest scourge of mankind."
    The reason is because that's an international company with specific and separated financial accounts.. In fact I haven't the choice
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    Nope. no problem.

I was just about to post "You should ask Mark Brummel" but looks like you beat me to it. :mrgreen:
    David Singleton
  • AndwianAndwian Member Posts: 627
    Nope. no problem.

Wow! What a huge number of companies!
    Anyway, what is the matter with the reindex job?
    Regards,
    Andwian
  • DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,305
    923 tables per company in a standard Cronus database, add a few hundred for custom objects and add-ons. I have customers with well over 2000 tables per company.

You do the math...
    Thanks for answers

I hope there's no problem to create a structure like that, I just need to have feedbacks about maintenance of db with a lot of companies in 8)
  • jglathejglathe Member Posts: 639
    Hi,

I think the main problem is maintaining a consistent setup (account nos., posting groups, application setup, number series, user rights/user setup, posting allowed from/until, account schedules, currency exchange rates and suchlike) over the companies, and IC transactions. And I think you will need consolidation, which is another thing to maintain. 50 companies is no problem for an actual SQL server. Renaming a company is not really a good idea, but is manageable, too.

with best regards

Jens