Registering Long Address for Customer/Vendor

knmknm Member Posts: 170
I was reviewing the Customer and Vendor Cards for NAV 2009 SP1, and found out that there are only 2 Address fields (Address & Address2) available with the maximum character length of 50.

Is there any additional Address fields that are hidden behind the Interface? Or is there a way to extend the allowed maximum character lengths?

Thank you.

Comments

• ssinglassingla Member Posts: 2,973
    You can also add new field say "Address 3". Modifying standard field will require modification at numerous place in the database.
    CA Sandeep Singla
    http://ssdynamics.co.in
  • SavatageSavatage Member Posts: 7,142
    kenji wrote:
    found out that there are only 2 Address fields....
    Is there any additional Address fields that are hidden behind the Interface? Or is there a way to extend the allowed maximum character lengths?
    Thank you.

You can change the lengths - but tht mean you need to find EVERYWHERE they are used and change those too including variables...So this is not a good path to take.

The easier way is to add a "Address 3" field to the table. And have that appear where you need it.
  • SavatageSavatage Member Posts: 7,142
    1 second late...I guess we were thinking the same thing 8)
  • FDickschatFDickschat Member Posts: 380
    Standard NAV 2009 SP1 gives you:
    Name (50)
    Name2 (50)
    Address (50)
    Address2 (50)
    CountryCode (10)
    PostCode (20)
    City (30)
    County (30)
    Contact (50)

You can enlarge them or add more fields if necessary but it is a lot of work and it creates other problems:
    It is not only table fields you need to change/add but also variables in Functions somewhere in NAV which are hard to find. Enlarging also creates problems when printing addresses on documents.

Adding more lines creates other problems.

Don't get me wrong, it can be done. The largest solution I have done is Name1-4 and Address1-3 with a City of 50. This gives a total of 11 lines to print and this barely fits into the window of an envelope.
    BUT (very big BUT): It does NOT fit into any shipping label from UPS, DHL or whichever forwarder you choose. Also if you do Edifact it might or might not fit into the format of your partner.
    Frank Dickschat
    FD Consulting
  • ssinglassingla Member Posts: 2,973
    Savatage wrote:
    1 second late...I guess we were thinking the same thing 8)

Good to think alike, I beleive :D .
    CA Sandeep Singla
    http://ssdynamics.co.in
  • knmknm Member Posts: 170
    Has anyone ever used a Comment fields to store extra Address details?

And not only Addresses, but do you think it's a good idea to store the extra Customer/Vendor/Item Card details that do not fit inside the Default available fields inside Comment Fields? (Using the "Code" column as indication of what kind if information they are)

Thank you.
  • rsaritzkyrsaritzky Member Posts: 469
    Using Comment fields will take a lot of extra coding if you wanted to print that address info anywhere.

You might consider using one of the existing fields if you do not use them.

What about the "Home Page" field? That's a field that you may not use. It's 80 characters already.

You'd have modify the Format Address codeunit (365) and various forms (invoice, etc.) if you wanted to standardize the use of that field - but it's already there.

But you may look at those long addresses and be able to find a way to squeeze it into 2 50-character address lines. I've done that before on 3 line addresses, e.g.

FPO 123-4567890
    Mail Station 99999
    Edwards Air Force Base
    23 Edwards Parkway

converts to:

FPO 123-4567890, Mail Station 99999
    Edwards Air Force Base, 23 Edwards Parkway

If it's just an occasional address, you might try that first.

Good luck.
    Ron