Use of Contact Card in Order Entry in NAV 2009 SP1

knmknm Member Posts: 170
Hi, I'm still a newbie in the NAV 2009 SP1 system, and currently I'm trying to figure out how the Contact Card is structured in both Vendor and Customer card.

First of all, my understanding is that Contacts will be created under each Vendor and Customer, and contact types "Company" and "Person" can be created. (Only 1 "Company Contact" and numerous "Person Contact" can be created)

And here's my question, since the Contact Card has the fields to save Address details like that of the "Order Address/Ship-to Address", I was wondering if specific Contact No. is used during order entry, the address information will get inherited from the Contact Card.

But as I was creating both SO and PO, and when I assigned a Contact No., no address information was updated, except for the Contact Person.

Is there any option for the orders to inherit the Contact Card's address information? Or is this how NAV 2009 SP1 is structured?
If so, then I feel that the address fields entry in the Contact Card to be very ambiguous.

Thank you.

Kenji

Comments

• rhpntrhpnt Member Posts: 688
    The contacts and the data within is only used in sales/marketing functions/activities (e.g. segments). In sales and/or purchase documents NAV will only use customer/vendor data.
  • knmknm Member Posts: 170
    I see, so Contact is not directly related to the Order Documents, and thus no address information are inherited by design.

But I was thinking that the only way to manage a multiple Bill-to Address on Sales, or multiple Pay-to Address on Purchase can be managed using the Contact Card. But since it's not related, how do I manage those multiple addresses related to invoicing. (For shipments and receipts, I know that I can use the Ship-to Code and Order Addresses)

Please let me know.

Thank you.

Kenji
  • Luc_VanDyckLuc_VanDyck Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 3,633
    Put your cursor in the field "Bill-to Customer No." on the Sales Order form (tab Invoicing), and press F1.
    No support using PM or e-mail - Please use this forum. BC TechDays 2024: 13 & 14 June 2024, Antwerp (Belgium)
  • knmknm Member Posts: 170
    OK,

I've read it and I guess the conclusion is the following.
    - Pay-to Address and Bill-to Address information will be pulled only from Address entered on the Vendor/Customer Card.
    - Assigning Contact No. will only update the Contact Name on the Order document.
    - There is no way to register a card to multiple Pay-to or Bill-to Addresses in NAV 2009 SP1.

Let me know if I'm mistaken.

Thank you.
  • jannestigjannestig Member Posts: 1,000
    Well actually if you raise a quote first there is a field on the customer/vendor card to say which contact to copy over first Company or person for address details.

So If you raise a quote to order this will update the General tab only, The bill to customer will not change however.

It would be a small mod to allow this to be updated.