Looking for Code to open Roles form

djangodjango Member Posts: 9
In my company's Nav5 system someone may give roles by going to Tools>>Security>>Windows Logins, then find the user and then click the Roles button which opens up a Roles form containing roles for the specific user. I want to add this functionality to the User Setup card. I want to modify the User Setup form to also have a Roles button. But I do not know how to call the Roles form in code. I can't find the Roles form in the Object Designer. I guess the Roles form is a system form. Anyone know how to call it?

Comments

• rhpntrhpnt Member Posts: 688
    By design the ability to create roles and assign those to users is reserved for high level users (SUPER) and is also controlled that way. The user setup table is not intended for such functionality/purpose. Do you know the difference between database logins and user setup?
  • djangodjango Member Posts: 9
    rhpnt, thanks for the comments and I appreciate the sentiment. However, just because I want to put a Roles button on the User Setup form, doesn't mean that everyone with access to the User Setup form will have access to open the Roles form. My pursuit is just a matter of convenience. If I am already on the User Setup form, it sure would be nice to open the roles form filtered on that user. We currently have 230 users with a high turnover rate because we have many volunteers. I just want to cut down on the extra clicks.
  • rhpntrhpnt Member Posts: 688
    django wrote:
    However, just because I want to put a Roles button on the User Setup form, doesn't mean that everyone with access to the User Setup form will have access to open the Roles form.
    From my point of view it does.

django wrote:
    My pursuit is just a matter of convenience. If I am already on the User Setup form, it sure would be nice to open the roles form filtered on that user.
    "Nice to have" features always lead to later problems.
    django wrote:
    We currently have 230 users with a high turnover rate because we have many volunteers. I just want to cut down on the extra clicks.
    I'm currently working on a 500+ user system. It's just a thing that has to be done every time. Take a moment and think about why there is no such button by design. Accept it!
    :whistle:
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    django wrote:
    :whistle:

rhpnt is giving you good advise, you should use it and thank him.
    David Singleton
  • matttraxmatttrax Member Posts: 2,309
    I'm so torn on this one. Security in NAV requires a lot of clicks to get to, not just Tools, then Security, then Windows Logins, but also because you have to search for the user id using a Find since they are not stored alphabetically. I can hear my Interface Design professor yelling "What the hell is that?!?". But in the end the easy button is not the answer. There is really no need to introduce an unnecessary mod into the database. I feel your pain, though.
  • DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,305
    Security setup in NAV is absolutely atrociously complicated, I've never liked it. I think it would be a great idea to be able to open role assignment right from User Setup. Especially for high numbers of users that would make that job a lot more efficient. I don't understand why there is so much resistance to that idea. You could easily set up security so that unauthorized users can't open that form.
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    The way to do this is to start from scratch and create all your own forms. Not to hack into system forms and do it that way. All this can be done in new 50,000-99,999 Forms. I have done this myself many times. But the OP simply whistling at advise given is just plain rude.
    David Singleton
  • DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,305
    Well rude goes both ways sometimes. Nobody explained to the OP exactly WHY it was a bad idea did they.
  • rsaritzkyrsaritzky Member Posts: 469
    Check out the "User Rights Setup" product in the downloads section:

http://www.mibuso.com/dlinfo.asp?FileID=277

Although it was built on an earlier edition of NAV, I've used it for NAV 5.0 and NAV2009 - works fine.

It has a variety of forms forms, including one that shows the roles for a single user. Of course, the permission for the user who RUNS the form must have access to the appropriate tables.
    Ron
    Thanks for everyone's comments.

The idea was for a new button on the User Setup form that when clicked would call the Roles form. I had no plans to hack code, unless calling the Roles form is hacking because it can't be found in the Object Designer.

The responses in this thread show me that the Roles form cannot be called.
  • rsaritzkyrsaritzky Member Posts: 469
    django wrote:
    Thanks for everyone's comments.

The responses in this thread show me that the Roles form cannot be called.

No, but you can create your own "Users" form and your own "Roles" form, and call your own Roles form. That's precisely what the addon in the downloads section does.
    Ron