Report permissions error : MODIFYALL

gemini_shootergemini_shooter Member Posts: 149
Hello All,

I get an report permissions error "You do not have permission to modify the G/L Entry Table."

I am super user and have ample SQL rights. The database uses database username and password. I also checked the license and the client has 3010 granule for General Ledger.

The reports errors out at at a G/L entry MODIFYALL command. Any clues?

Comments

• David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    No way should you be modifying GL Entries. What ever you are thinking of doing, contact your partner and rethink this.

Modify all on GL Entries could destroy your database, which is why it is protected.
    David Singleton
  • gemini_shootergemini_shooter Member Posts: 149
    hmmm..Its not a big change it just updates a custom field to closed.

What do you mean when you say that MODIFY ALL is protected?
  • DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,305
    You need to have a partner license to make direct changes to the G/L Entry table. A normal customer license will not have permission to run that report.
    Den,

This used to work fine for us before. We have custom field in the G/L Entry and we update it to reviewed/closed based on when it has been reviewed by the accountants.

I do understand that G/L Entry's are critical, especially if they are tied with the sub-ledger. However, I am trying to understand why did this report stop working?
    Modify all on GL Entries could destroy your database, which is why it is protected.

--Based on what David said, I went and ran the report with client monitor to see what SQL statement was sent to the DB and NAV is sending SELECT with (UPDLOCKS) and THEN UPDATE SET, which I do understand. The users have the Public role in SQL, now I am starting to wonder if public is enough to do updates? Do I need db_datawrite?

--But you are saying that I need a partner license to run this report? hmmm.. so G/L Entry updates are not allowed in client license, even through a report? Can you shed some light on this concept,

--What is the granule/line in the partner license that separates this direct change feature vs. a client license?

--Are there other tables that follow the same behavior as the above?

Thank you for the helpful comments, I am learning something new here, so please excuse my excitement :-)
    Imagine a question on a guns forum.

"Hi all, I am new to guns, but I borrowed a shotgun recently and it wont work. I am looking down the barrel and pulling the trigger but I can't see anything happen. It is loaded, and I saw it working few weeks ago at the shooting range. Can some one tell me what I am doing wrong."

What is the correct answer?

A You need to take it off SAFE by moving the safety catch to FIRE.
    B You should be doing this out doors.
    C You should get a gun expert to give you some lessons.
    David Singleton
  • FDickschatFDickschat Member Posts: 380
    Take a look at this thread to see what is required to write code which can modify protected tables:
    http://www.mibuso.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=41502
    Frank Dickschat
    FD Consulting
    Thanks FD, however the code is already written in a report, which is custom report.

The report runs a MODIFYALL command on FINDSET and updates a custom field in G/L entry.

Do you need solution developer even to run the report?

I do understand you need solution developer if you are modifying the table but thats not the case, it is already modified.
  • ssinglassingla Member Posts: 2,973
    Thanks FD, however the code is already written in a report, which is custom report.

The report runs a MODIFYALL command on FINDSET and updates a custom field in G/L entry.

Do you need solution developer even to run the report?

I do understand you need solution developer if you are modifying the table but thats not the case, it is already modified.

Table have 2 parts : a) Table b) Table data.
    Simple client license will not have permission to modify protected tables. If the report was working earlier for the client then the server must be having Developer License or client must be changing to dev. license before running the report.
    CA Sandeep Singla
    http://ssdynamics.co.in
    Thank you all for the helpful comments.

I was able to find the issue in the report and fix it. :lol:
  • Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    End user licenses cannot modify ledger entry tables. Only solution center license can modify ledger entry tables.

The solution center license and create objects that can modify ledger entry tables that can be ran by end users.
    Thank you all for the helpful comments.

I was able to find the issue in the report and fix it. :lol:

Ah so did you get access to a developer license then?
    David Singleton
    It was a issue in Report Properties permission G/L Entry was missing, partner can add that and the report should be backup and running :wink:
  • kapamaroukapamarou Member Posts: 1,152
    It was a issue in Report Properties permission G/L Entry was missing, partner can add that and the report should be backup and running :wink:

We've had similar issues with Value Entry because the localization uses Extra fields on value entry to update the item cost.

I think this topic is really interesting if we read it relation to this: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=44719
    and then compare two options with a similar result:

a) A field that is updated directly on "G/L Entry"
    b) A secondary table that has an entry for each "G/L Entry" indicating the review status and maybe a flowfield on table "G/L Entry".

I honestly don't know what is better: A or B? Maybe there should be some testing in order to figure this out depending on usage (How often is the table updated? Is your field used very often as a filter?...). Any thoughts?
    Very nice link kapamarou =D>

I had a similar issue with Sales Header for a client with table running close the 4000 key limit (5.0) so we extended it using b), not the best solution but I believe that limit is 8000 in 2009.

Most of the other times, I see developers sticking to a)

But I always wonder if it would be possible to use a) as a standard, because then you can totally separate your custom tables in a range. That might be helpful in upgrades as well, but am sure it might bring some pain due to the join queries on performance.
    Gemini are you a partner or an end user?
    David Singleton
    None, Contractor right now
    None, Contractor right now

OK,

because this is the sort of stuff that a customer really wouldn't know. But as a partner its pretty much Navision 101, so any Navision developer would know about permission properties. I guess you are doing the functional side then. In which case its probably best you don't "play around under the hood", and get a developer to look at this for you instead. I have seen functional consultants do some major damage playing with the developer's tools. Just using the standard report designer its possible to do some serious damage.
    David Singleton
  • ssinglassingla Member Posts: 2,973
    I have seen functional consultants do some major damage playing with the developer's tools. Just using the standard report designer its possible to do some serious damage.

:-#
    CA Sandeep Singla
    http://ssdynamics.co.in
    Appreciate the concern David, but I think this is a forum for learning and sharing knowledge so I would never hesitate in asking something, even if people are not willing to share the knowledge.

Whats the worst that can happen.. I won't get a straight answer.. :wink:
  • Slawek_GuzekSlawek_Guzek Member Posts: 1,690
    The straight answers are:

a) you need to have developer license to run custom report modifying G/L entries.

b) you need to have developer license to set report-level permissions on custom report to allow it modifying G/L when run under customer license.

Slawek
    Slawek Guzek
    Dynamics NAV, MS SQL Server, Wherescape RED;
    PRINCE2 Practitioner - License GR657010572SG
    GDPR Certified Data Protection Officer - PECB License DPCDPO1025070-2018-03