Unit Cost calculation for Manufacturing

dede_aja_tuhdede_aja_tuh Member Posts: 39
Dear all,

I have a question.

Module: Advanced Management
Process: Manufacturing

Scenario:

We have a production order for Item X qty: 10 units.
The Bill of Material for item X is

Raw Material A Qty: 1, Unit Cost: $10
Raw Material B Qty: 2, Unit Cost: $10

In other words, to produce 10 units of item X, total Cost: $300 ( Raw material A 10 x $10 + Raw Material B 20 x $10 )

We do a full consumption journal for that production order. so that cost of 10 item X at this point of time is $300. i.e 1 item X is $30.

when we do output journal of 6 item X, and put 4 item X to scrap, and change the status of production order to 'finished', automatically the unit cost of the Item X in the item card is calculated as $50 ( $300/ 6 units ).

Question:
Why is the total cost of Item X not $180?i.e item cost per unit is $30 and put the value for the 4 item X to an account called Scrap or Expense?

Is there a setting for this?

thank you

Comments

• AdamRoueAdamRoue Member Posts: 1,283
    I presume you are not standard costing? Have you run teh adjust cost item entries?

Cannot remember the scrap settings and I do not have the software, but that is a start!
    The art of teaching is clarity and the art of learning is to listen
  • dede_aja_tuhdede_aja_tuh Member Posts: 39
    Halo Adam,

thank you for the reply. When i try the problem, i use Costing Method : Average for both Component and Main Item. Maybe depending on your information, i should try Costing Method : Standard to Main Item.

But Adam, i just want to know, anyway or anything in NAV, how to treatment SCRAP in Production module if i want to make the SCRAP became expense for the company?

Many thanks for the advice.
  • AdamRoueAdamRoue Member Posts: 1,283
    Standard is standard hence why I asked.

My memory is that the cost is attributed across all items when the adjust cost item is run in the scenario you discuss, but this could have changed in AX2009.
    The art of teaching is clarity and the art of learning is to listen