SQL Backup - restore new environment

eagle_eyeeagle_eye Member Posts: 130
I have a SQL backup of NAV that I would like to restore in a different domain (i.e. the security logins will not be the same).

When I restore the database, and try to open it in NAV, I am told that the user id & password are not valid (obviously I have not set-up any). What is the trick to restore in a different domain? Do I need to create a database login (instead of windows) to use before I do a sql backup?

Comments

• eagle_eyeeagle_eye Member Posts: 130
    I will answer my own post. Clearing the user and windows logins tables from sql and then opening the NAV client allows you to have a chance to create a user for yourself after the restore.
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    If you don't want to delete the existing rolls and users, then what I do, is install Cronus on the new domain, create a windows login. Then just copy paste these records form the cronus to the new database, giving me a super login and keeping all the existing users. I do this because often customer databases have user specific set up needed to do certain tasks.
    David Singleton
  • eagle_eyeeagle_eye Member Posts: 130
    What a great idea. Thank you!!
  • SogSog Member Posts: 1,023
    because NAV 7 is still not out, you can just use a database auth. login as a superuser. That user can easily be copied to the new SQL instance on the new domain.
    When NAV will drop the database authentication, then it is not possible to edit the logins from NAV.
    |Pressing F1 is so much faster than opening your browser|
    |To-Increase|