How to get version info of fin.exe?

arcullarcull Member Posts: 191
Hi there. I wonder if its possible to get somehow assembley info of the fin.exe which is currently running. I'm interested in getting the version of the client. Thanks for any suggestion.

Comments

• pduckpduck Member Posts: 147
    Have a look inside the File-Properties -> Tab "Version Info". You can reach it with a right click on the fin.exe -> Properties.
  • SavatageSavatage Member Posts: 7,142
    go to client folder in program files - right click on fin.exe - go to properties -> version tab

all info there
  • bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    Click on Help - About. The exe version is in the paratheses. Double-Click on that and a new window will give you the build.
    There are no bugs - only undocumented features.
  • BeliasBelias Member Posts: 2,998
    bbrown wrote:
    Click on Help - About. The exe version is in the paratheses. Double-Click on that and a new window will give you the build.
    just a question...aren't these info retrieved from the codeunit 1?because in case of different build numbers (thus, no code merge), you're going to get a wrong version number.
    -Mirko-
    "Never memorize what you can easily find in a book".....Or Mibuso
    My Blog
  • bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    Belias wrote:
    bbrown wrote:
    just a question...aren't these info retrieved from the codeunit 1?because in case of different build numbers (thus, no code merge), you're going to get a wrong version number.

No. Codeunit 1 has to do with the Application Version (database). Not the EXE version
    There are no bugs - only undocumented features.
  • BeliasBelias Member Posts: 2,998
    :thumbsup: thank you
    P.S.: in 4 years of nav, i've never doubleclicked the version number :mrgreen:
    -Mirko-
    "Never memorize what you can easily find in a book".....Or Mibuso
    My Blog
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    Belias wrote:
    :thumbsup: thank you
    P.S.: in 4 years of nav, i've never doubleclicked the version number :mrgreen:

Try this

Navision Build No.
    David Singleton
  • arcullarcull Member Posts: 191
    I guess I didn't make my self clear enough, I want to get the version no. from C/AL code if possible. Thanks again.
  • FlowerBizFlowerBiz Member Posts: 34
    I don't know of a C/AL command to do what you are looking for but you can get this information from a Visual Basic script:
    Set fso = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
    WScript.Echo fso.GetFileVersion("fin.exe")

Execute the above in the directory where the fin.exe file is located by running this command line:

cscript /Nologo \path to script file\scriptfile.vbs

It will return the version number followed by the build number, similar to: 6.0.29626.0

Using automation (or just the SHELL command if using classic) will enable you to retrieve this info from within C/AL code.
  • arcullarcull Member Posts: 191
    I don't know of a C/AL command to do what you are looking for but you can get this information from a Visual Basic script:
    Code: Select all
    Set fso = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
    WScript.Echo fso.GetFileVersion("fin.exe")

Execute the above in the directory where the fin.exe file is located by running this command line:

cscript /Nologo \path to script file\scriptfile.vbs

It will return the version number followed by the build number, similar to: 6.0.29626.0
    FlowerBiz you are the man, not your wife :) (it's a joke), excellent idea, which pointed me in right direction. The working solution now is:
    OBJECT Codeunit 50000 test
    {
      OBJECT-PROPERTIES
      {
        Date=02.12.10;
        Time=[ 8:02:45];
        Modified=Yes;
        Version List=;
      }
      PROPERTIES
      {
        OnRun=BEGIN
                CLEAR(FSObject);
                CREATE(FSObject,TRUE,TRUE);

FVersion := FSObject.GetFileVersion(APPLICATIONPATH + 'fin.exe');
                MESSAGE(FVersion);
              END;

}
      CODE
      {
        VAR
          FSObject@1100636001 : Automation "{420B2830-E718-11CF-893D-00A0C9054228} 1.0:{0D43FE01-F093-11CF-8940-00A0C9054228}:'Microsoft Scripting Runtime'.FileSystemObject";
          FVersion@1100636000 : Text[30];

BEGIN
        END.
      }
    }