Accessing Navision database across domain

jjwolvenjjwolven Member Posts: 8
Is it possible to access a Navision database (4.02) across domains?

I am in the process of moving my endusers from one domain to another, but I can't interrupt their Navision access. If I try to access the database through the server name or IP address I receive the following error:

The TCP/IP connection's 'host' is not answering (TCP/IP error ECONNREFUSED).

I have added the server to the hosts file already, and that did not work.

What else can I do to connect?

-jj

Comments

• bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    That depends on the user authentication method. If using "Database Authentication" then the domain is irrelevant and does not come into play. All that matters is that the client can comminicate with the DB Server.

If using "Windows Authenication" then both client and server must reside under the same primary domain. But they can be in different sub-domains. (Not sure I have the terms correct. My hands-on networking days are a bit behind me)
    There are no bugs - only undocumented features.
  • jjwolvenjjwolven Member Posts: 8
    That is what I thought shoudl have happened but it isn't working for some reason.

We are using Database Authentication and TCPS. Those were set correctly on the log on page. I also put the server and IP into the hosts file.
    With all of this it still won't connect, giving the error above.
    Use TCP. TCPS had issues in earlier versions. I've never gotten it to work. But then again I don't do much native DB anymore.
  • krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,110
    BTW: up to NAV5.0 (without SP1) is not supported anymore by Microsoft.
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!

• jjwolvenjjwolven Member Posts: 8
    bbrown wrote:
    Use TCP. TCPS had issues in earlier versions. I've never gotten it to work. But then again I don't do much native DB anymore.
    This isn't a new database, it is already setup as TCPS.
    jjwolven wrote:
    bbrown wrote:
    This isn't a new database, it is already setup as TCPS.

Change it. :wink: