Problem with NAV Printers list

marvinqmarvinq Member Posts: 69
Hi,

I have a problem with the Printers list in NAV. It is not updating any more. In the list I see old printers that have not been part of the domain for the past two years. No printers are imported via my remote connection, so the printers should be deleted automatically. My client is running at the server. I have tried to restart services, database and even the server itself.

What can I do??

I have read that the Printer table is updating every time I start my client, but not in my case. The Printer table is a virtual table, and it is not visible in the object designer. I have tried to create a report which printed out the content of the Printer table, and tried to delete some of the printers, but I get the message that the table is read-only.

Edit: When I add more printers to windows I get the same problem. New printers are not visible in the printers table. When printing any standard printer, with printer selection visible I am able to choose the new printer, but it is not visible in the printer-selection-list.

Please help!

Comments

• vikram7_dabasvikram7_dabas Member Posts: 611
    Dear concern
    Please delete ur zup file.
    Vikram Dabas
    Navision Technical Consultant
  • marvinqmarvinq Member Posts: 69
    Hi,

Thanks for respons, but I have already tried that.

I added the parameter "ID=xx" to the startup icon, which gives me a new zup-fil, but this does not change anything. Any other ideas?? I am unable to add new printers. I am stuck with old printers.

I am really lost!
  • SogSog Member Posts: 1,023
    Dear Concern,

This appears to be a version specific problem, please check the MS knowledge base for a solution for your problem.
    If it is a negative search, please be so kind to share your current version (and build)
    |Pressing F1 is so much faster than opening your browser|
    |To-Increase|
    Hi,

Where can I find this MS knowledge base?

"Version DK Dynamics NAV 6.0 (6.00)"
    You can find the Microsoft Knowledge Base trough either customersource or partnersource, depending on your relation with Microsoft.
    Since your knowledge appears to be extensive of NAV I'm going for Partner.
    I found a KB article that is somewhat related to your problem, but it is as most KB articles confidential.
    |To-Increase|
    Okay great,

I'll have a look at partner source

Thanks
  • jannestigjannestig Member Posts: 1,000
    Hi,

This hotfix solves the problem with printers not appearing in the list, but I am still stuck with old printers that is not part of the domain.

Any ideas?
  • xenonxenon Member Posts: 30
    I too have this problem. Using the hotfix it made my "new" printers appear (fortunately) but I still have hundreds of old printers that appear as available to select even though we no longer have them.

I'd love to know how the available printers (from drilling down in Table 78) is actually created / enumerated.
  • nommerydnommeryd Member Posts: 12
    To clean up the printer list in Navision:

Give the user rights to run regedit from command line.

Run regedit
    Go to HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\

Delete the Devices.....

Restart and u have a clean list !
    :mrgreen:
  • xenonxenon Member Posts: 30
    =D>

Thank you! That worked!

We have lots of users (around 50) all have "long" lists from old terminal services and citrix session printers. I wonder if there is a "clean-up" tool anywhere to save having to do it all manually?
    if it is in the nav printer list only, then why should it happen at intervals?
    If it is the global printerlist, then group policy is your way to go.
    |To-Increase|
  • CaponeCapone Member Posts: 125
    I have exactly the same problem but with Navision 4.0 SP3 W1 :(

I'm guessing it has to do with policies.. Right now the hosting partner blames Navision that the printers doesn't show.

The printers can be found locally (even local) but not in NAV.

I have looked in the knowledge database at partner source without success.

Edit:
    An update:

I think I found a solution to the problem.

In order to find where the virtual printer table get it printers from I searched through the registry and found following places:
    HKEY_Current_User/Software/Microsoft/Windows NT/CurrentVersion/Devices

HKEY_Current_User/Software/Microsoft/Windows NT/CurrentVersion/PrinterPorts

After googling it I found out that this is not only a Navision problem but also a windows server/citrix problem. Here is the thread with a proposed solution:
    http://forums.citrix.com/thread.jspa?th ... 0&tstart=0

In short the problem is that the user profile can only handle a maximum of 99 printers and since the user profile get all the other user printers then list could get full and no new printers will be added.

I have sent the issue to our customers hosting company and they will take a look at it. I'll post an update after they have done it.

Edit 2:
    Problem solved! \:D/
    Hello IT, have you tried to turn it off and on?
    Have you checked the cables?
    Have you released the filters?

http://www.navfreak.com