How to restore the datas only ?

chandrurecchandrurec Member Posts: 560
Hi all,

I have got the backup file with me. Is there any option by which i can restore the datas only during backup without the objects.

For this I want to delete the existing datas which is already present in the database and then I should restore only the backup datas during restoration so that I get the database with the datas from the backup.

if any knows how to achieve this , kindly tell me.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
chandru.

Comments

• kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    I do not understand what you want to do... :-k
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • chandrurecchandrurec Member Posts: 560
    Hi Kine,

I am having a datasbe backup file with me.

Scenario :

In the already existing database I have some datas. With this datas I want to append the datas from backup file. For this I am doing restoring the backup.But when I restore the two options "Data Common to all companies" and "Application Objects" is disables and so I cannot uncheck the Application objects in order to restore only the datas from backup.

How to enable the enable the Application Objects and Data Common to all companies .or is there any other way to restore only the datas.

Thanks & regards,
    chandru.
    You cannot combine backup with existing data!

You can only rename existing company, restore new company and than you can use Export/Import or some tool to copy data between companies to copy the data. But still, combining two companies together is not easy task! E.g. what you will do with entry nos. in G/L Entries? When there is entry with no. 123 in both, what you will do with it?

If you want to join two companies, I recommend to transfer the open entries as during go live....
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • chandrurecchandrurec Member Posts: 560
    Hi Kine,

I tried to create a new company in the same database and then I tried to restore the backup but still I can see the two options (i.e "Data Common to all companies" and "Application objects") in disables mode only. Is there any option available to enable this.

Thanks & regards,
    chandru.
  • rhpntrhpnt Member Posts: 688
    Data restore/recovery is only possible with SQL server.
    chandrurec wrote:
    Hi Kine,

I tried to create a new company in the same database and then I tried to restore the backup but still I can see the two options (i.e "Data Common to all companies" and "Application objects") in disables mode only. Is there any option available to enable this.

Thanks & regards,
    chandru.

These type of data (objects and data common to all comp.) could be restored only into empty database. For objects there is alternative way: you can import them in same way as any .FOB file (FBK file could be used as FOB file).
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,305
    rhpnt wrote:
    No that's not true
    DenSter wrote:
    rhpnt wrote:
    No that's not true

Yes it is.
  • bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    rhpnt wrote:
    DenSter wrote:
    rhpnt wrote:
    No that's not true

Yes it is.

My vote's with Daniel. Can you explain your position on this?
    There are no bugs - only undocumented features.
    The advantages and functionality of SQL server compared to the native db are explained in countless docs web wide. But to "state my position"; try to restore data only on a native db without stopping all work in NAV, creating a new company, deleting the old one, renaming the new one,...oh, and add to that "to a certain point in time".
    But it doesn't mean "it cannot be done..." ;-)
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
    rhpnt wrote:
    DenSter wrote:
    rhpnt wrote:
    No that's not true
    Yes it is.
    No, it is not.

You can restore a NAV backup into existing objects, and it will be data only. Your claim that it is only possible with SQL Server is false.

As a matter of fact I would even say that it is more difficult to restore data only using SQL Server backup, because the object table is included in there. We haven't even discussed importing an additional company into an existing NAV database.
    DenSter wrote:
    As a matter of fact I would even say that it is more difficult to restore data only using SQL Server backup,...

A bold statement from an MVP...
    rhpnt wrote:
    A bold statement from an MVP...
    That's funny :mrgreen: