Configure static IP of Server with Client

vinoth_navvinoth_nav Member Posts: 31
Hi,

We are using Navision classic Client Server. All the clients which are in the LAN are connected to the Server. Internet with a Static IP is Used by the Server. All the Clients share the same Internet Connection.

Now i need to get connected to the Server from remote location. I will be installing classic client components (without the database) in another location of our company which is geographically separated from the Server. For this do i need Static IP in my another location or Dynamic IP will work?

How to configure all the Client machines in my another location so that it gets connected and interacts with Navision Server in our Head Office?

How implement Navision Classic Server and Clients in a VPN?
How implement Navision Classic Server and Clients in a WAN?
What are the different ways to deal with this scenario (other tahn the two mentioned above)?

Please help me.
With warm regards,
Vinoth Kumar.J M.Sc(CT),MBSP,MCTS.
Techno-Functional Consultant
Mobile : +91-7418577075
E mail : vinoth_nav@yahoo.co.in

Answers

• kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    What you need is nothing connected to the NAV Server. It is just about TCP/IP networking. First, you need someone who understand this. Another thing is, how fast you have your WAN lines. Do not forget that there is 10Mbps recommendation for one session. If you have slower links, I recommend to use remote access (Terminal Server, Citrix etc.).
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • ssinglassingla Member Posts: 2,973
    vinoth_nav wrote:
    Hi,

We are using Navision classic Client Server. All the clients which are in the LAN are connected to the Server. Internet with a Static IP is Used by the Server. All the Clients share the same Internet Connection.

Server configured with a static IP is a nightmare from security point of view. :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:
    CA Sandeep Singla
    http://ssdynamics.co.in
  • vinoth_navvinoth_nav Member Posts: 31
    Dear Mr.Kamil Sacek,

Thanks for the reply. I think you are suggesting to use Remote Desktop connectivity of the Windows Server for slower bandwidth.
    Am i understanding it properly?
    With warm regards,
    Vinoth Kumar.J M.Sc(CT),MBSP,MCTS.
    Techno-Functional Consultant
    Mobile : +91-7418577075
    E mail : vinoth_nav@yahoo.co.in
    Yes. Of course, you can combine it with VPN for security...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    ssingla wrote:
    vinoth_nav wrote:
    Hi,

Server configured with a static IP is a nightmare from security point of view. :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

Then how do clients find it? Without a static IP, a server (or other network device) can acquire a different IP address on restart. Not a good idea. How does this impact security?
    There are no bugs - only undocumented features.
    ssingla wrote:
    vinoth_nav wrote:
    Hi,

Are you referring to the Dynamic Port feature of SQL?
    bbrown wrote:
    ssingla wrote:
    vinoth_nav wrote:
    Hi,

Then how do clients find it? Without a static IP, a server (or other network device) can acquire a different IP address on restart. Not a good idea. How does this impact security?

For this there is DNS... ;-)
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
    Since a non-static IP address will only change upon a server reboot, and a SQL Server is rarely rebooted (meaning the IP address does nto changes), then isn't it effectively the same as a static address? So where is the security advantage?
    Only once DNS knows about the address change. In the meantime it would continue to direct connections to the old (invalid) address.
    yes, but todays it is common that DHCP will change the DNS entry when lease is done...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
    kine wrote:
    yes, but todays it is common that DHCP will change the DNS entry when lease is done...

But the change only occurs if the NIC needs to a new addresss (such as a reboot). And those DNS changes need to propogate. I just see a lot more important factors from a security standpoint then having my servers changing addresses.