Options

NAV Report Designer Export to Excel with fixed column widths

rosenberglrosenbergl Member Posts: 37
Is there a way to set fixed column widths for NAV data exported to Excel using NAV’s Report Object Designer and the Excel Buffer table?

Comments

• Options
    einsTeIn.NETeinsTeIn.NET Member Posts: 1,050
    edited 2010-11-19
    No, I'm afraid there is no easy way.

You could amend Excel Buffer, but you would need Table Designer. Or you could export to Excel by yourself (Excel Automation variable).
    "Money is likewise the greatest chance and the greatest scourge of mankind."
  • Options
    BeliasBelias Member Posts: 2,998
    if you are on 3 tiers, you (but i don't think so because you wrote in "classic section" of the forum) you can create a rdlc layout with columns of the same size and then let the user save the report as excel. If the user blames about the fact he has to manually save the excel file, instead of having excel pop up automatically, let him see how fast is the feature of reporting services and how slow is the excel buffer. :wink:
    if you are on classic client, well...automation is the way to go, like einstein said
    -Mirko-
    "Never memorize what you can easily find in a book".....Or Mibuso
    My Blog
  • Options
    mkpjsrmkpjsr Member Posts: 587
    Belias wrote:
    if you are on 3 tiers, you (but i don't think so because you wrote in "classic section" of the forum) you can create a rdlc layout with columns of the same size and then let the user save the report as excel. If the user blames about the fact he has to manually save the excel file, instead of having excel pop up automatically, let him see how fast is the feature of reporting services and how slow is the excel buffer. :wink:
    if you are on classic client, well...automation is the way to go, like einstein said

hi, can anybody explain automation in detail....
  • Options
    SogSog Member Posts: 1,023
    mkpjsr, I don't think anybody will explain in detail automation.
    This because there is more than enough information about this topic on the internet.
    You're favorite searchengine will be happy to assist you.

For automation in this forum
    |Pressing F1 is so much faster than opening your browser|
    |To-Increase|
  • Options
    Sog wrote:
    mkpjsr, I don't think anybody will explain in detail automation.
    This because there is more than enough information about this topic on the internet.
    You're favorite searchengine will be happy to assist you.

For automation in this forum

actually i wanted to know that how automation can be used here in navision for sending data to excel not the term automation........
  • Options
    crisnicolascrisnicolas Member Posts: 177
    Take a look at the code in Excel Buffer table and in reports where this table is used.
    You'll see there how Excel Automation is used. You can extend the functionality to meet your requirements.
  • Options
    einsTeIn.NETeinsTeIn.NET Member Posts: 1,050
    Automation means Automation Server Variable. It's some kind of COM Object you could use within NAV. It's not an automatic way to export any data to Excel.
    "Money is likewise the greatest chance and the greatest scourge of mankind."
  • Options
    SogSog Member Posts: 1,023
    Trial Balance is one of those reports.
    The excel buffer table is great together with excel automation.
    it has functions to create a new excel file and put all it's data in it defined by columns in the excel buffer table.
    As Crisnicolas already said.

Sorry to direct you instantly to a searchengine, but asking the correct questions is the key to this forum
    |Pressing F1 is so much faster than opening your browser|
    |To-Increase|
  • Options
    Sog wrote:
    Sorry to direct you instantly to a searchengine, but asking the correct questions is the key to this forum

correct....
  • Options
    Bulat_ShamsutdinovBulat_Shamsutdinov Member Posts: 3
    Hello!

Actually there is a simple, automated way to export Nav Reports to Excel - there is an application PowerJaret 2009 that integrates with Navision (version 3.60 and up) and exports any of its reports to excel with no use of automation, with high speed, fully keeping report’s structure and even adding some nice features like alternating and conditional colors.

All reports can be processed by it within a couple of minutes. And when you want to export any of them to Excel you just run it, set the export flag, press view and it’s done – report is exported to Excel. Experience is much like with manually coded ones but these are machine made - fast and accurate, and it costs almost no time to produce them.

But for the time being it sells in Russia only and international release is awaited in a couple of month.

What for now, If you’ll find yourself interested in the product, you can mail us to support@powerjaret.ru to get more information about the product.

I hope it will be helpful, and please feel free to ask anything you’ll feel yourself interested in.

• Options
    AndwianAndwian Member Posts: 627
    Maybe something like this:
    XlWrkSht.Range().Columns.Width()

Regards,
    Andwian
  • Options
    David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    I wonder why people are so scared to modify the Excel Buffer Table. I have made many mods to this. You can do it in such a way that you can then import the object in to any of your clients databases and it wont affect exiting functionality.
    David Singleton