Allowed Posting Dates When Sales Invoicing Items

Jonathan2708Jonathan2708 Member Posts: 552
Hi,

I'm getting the error 'Posting Date is not within your allowed posting dates...' when invoicing a sales order for stock items and I just want to understand what is happening. Take the following example :

1. Opening stock quantity posted with a date of 30/09/10
2. Stock was shipped with a posting date of 08/11/10
3. Attempt to invoice the goods with a posting date of 10/11/10 but get the error

The setup is as follows :

General Ledger Setup Allow Posting Dates : 01/10/10 to 31/10/10
User Setup Allow Posting Dates : 01/11/10 to 30/11/10
Automatic Cost Posting : Yes
Automatic Cost Adjustment : Always

My understanding of what is happening is :

1. System wants to post the cost of goods sold to the stock on 30/09/2010
2. It can’t do this because 30/09/2010 is in a closed period, so it tries to post using the first available date which is open i.e. the ‘Allow Posting From’ date in the General Ledger Setup which is 01/10/2010
3. System errors because it can’t post to 01/10/2010 because user's setup record was setup to only allow from 01/11/2010

This seems to be the case because if I change the 'Allow Posting From' on the User Setup record to 01/10/10 then the invoice posts successfully. What is confusing me is that when the invoice posts, all the related G/L and Value Entry transactions are dated 10/11/10 as per the invoice, so if it was going to post to November anyway then why raise the errror?

Any help appreciated,

Jonathan

Comments

• kapil4dynamicskapil4dynamics Member Posts: 591
    User dates are allowing him to post the sales invoices but for the cost adjustment entry the same date should be open but that is closed in GL allowed dates as per ur setup. Although system would always post even the adjustment in open period but in any case it would check that user date should be either equal or less than GL setup for evaluating the adjustment.

In test database make automatic adjustment as never in inventory setup and remove auto posting from inventory setup and run the same scenario it would not cause any issue.
    Kapil Khanna
  • AndwianAndwian Member Posts: 627
    As I understand, the date format is in DD/MM/YY.

When posting, the system will check the User Setup first to validate if it is allowed, then if it allowed it will check the GL Setup. If the secondary check failed, then the system post error.
    Regards,
    Andwian