Last Direct Cost vs. Unit Cost vs. Standard Cost - Help

emulsifiedemulsified Member Posts: 139
Here goes:

I have a Company that has had Navision 4.00 SP3 since 2007 that has done purchase orders, sales invoices, and item journal adjustments. There are about 10,000 items in inventory.

When purchase orders are created the cost for the items is entered on the purchase order according to whatever it is at the time the items are ordered from the manufacturer. When the items are received the receiver goes back to the purchase order and posts the appropriate quantities. Does not invoice.

I need to know all about the following and what effects their values:

Standard Cost
Unit Cost
Last Direct Cost

I need to know what I need to do to get the last purchased price to show up automatically when creating a new purchase order for an item.

Can anyone answer this completely (not being rude just need a definitive answer/procedure)?

Thank you.
Half-empy or half-full how do you view your database?

Thanks.

Comments

• Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    Is there a reason you're not pushing F1 on these fields to get the answer?
  • emulsifiedemulsified Member Posts: 139
    Yes, I have done that.

I guess what I need to know is will there be any potential road blocks or long running adjustments that take forever? It's stock 4.00 SP3, no modifications to any code units or posting processes or anything like that have ever been made.

So lets say I have a FIFO item. All I would have to do is Post & Invoice my PO as opposed to just Posting it?

Thanks.
  • Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    Last Direct Cost - Updated when you post item journal or post invoice on purchase documents. Basically for any quantity increases in inventory.

Unit Cost - Updated when you run Adjust Cost

Standard Cost - User input
  • SavatageSavatage Member Posts: 7,142
    emulsified wrote:
    I need to know what I need to do to get the last purchased price to show up automatically when creating a new purchase order for an item.
    On the purchase line table you'll have to alter the code on UpdateDirectUnitCost()
    if Item."Last Direct Cost" = 0
    then "Direct Unit Cost" := "Item."Standard Cost" * "Qty. per Unit of Measure"
    ELSE "Direct Unit Cost" := Item."Last Direct Cost"  * "Qty. per Unit of Measure";

something like that :wink:
  • emulsifiedemulsified Member Posts: 139
    Great. I'm testing that code now on my test database. I've created some dummy items.

Navision prompts me when I go to enter a value into the Standard Cost field stating the following:

"There may be orders and open ledger entries for the item. If you change Standard Cost it may affect new orders and entries. Do you want to change Standard Cost?"

Since this are new items I'm testing out I won't see any undesired affects but my question is what if the item was not new, what would be affected and how?

Can you give me some scenarios? Like if I have an open SALES ORDER or open SALES INVOICE ORDER, will it change anything there? How about when running sales or commission reports???

Thanks.
  • SavatageSavatage Member Posts: 7,142
    I would suggest testing which price shows up by making some phoney test item number with 3 very different costs
    UC = $1
    SC = $2
    LD = $3

it will be clear then which price is showing when entering an item.

are your commissions based on cost?
    You're basically just asking for a different price to show up when entering a po.
    Now once you post the order with the new prices, it's on you to determine if they are correct or not.
    Then the system will behave as it did before. This is just helping you save some manual price entries.

You seem to be doing the correct procedure in your first post.
    1.create a po
    2.receive the merch that arrives
    3.when the vendor invoice arrives-Check the qty's & costs so they match & post.

ps..if you alter some code don't forget to add comments
    //PO unit cost changed to std cost 11-2010 or whatever it may be