2 databases, 1 license in db+server?

rixrixrixrix Member Posts: 121
Hello,
I searched the forum, found some answers, but I am not sure, ...
We have license with Granule : per database license , 185 concurent users

We have 4 companies in 1 database.
But now we need to set up 1 company in different Database on the same SQL server

Can we legally do it in some way?
We wouldn't mind if we will be limited by sum of sessions used in other databases ...
Only 1-2 persons (onece a month) will be working in this new company ....

But we need it separated like this

Is it possible to havelicense stored in "DB" and also "in server" ? So one DB will use pre DB license and other DB will be limited by sum of connected sessions on whole server

Thank you

Comments

• Luc_VanDyckLuc_VanDyck Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 3,633
    rixrix wrote:
    We have license with Granule : per database license , 185 concurent users
    [...]
    We have 4 companies in 1 database.
    But now we need to set up 1 company in different Database on the same SQL server
    To me it's clear that this is not possible with the current license you have now.
    No support using PM or e-mail - Please use this forum. BC TechDays 2024: 13 & 14 June 2024, Antwerp (Belgium)
  • rixrixrixrix Member Posts: 121
    And if we will recreate license file with that Granule? And will use the licence as "per server" ?

Or if we bought it we have to use it ?
    I meant "without" that granule ... sry
  • matttraxmatttrax Member Posts: 2,309
    In short, if you want another database you need another license. If you want that database to be on the same server both databases should have the per database module in your license.
  • einsTeIn.NETeinsTeIn.NET Member Posts: 1,050
    Why do you want to extract one company into another database? What is the reason behind?
    "Money is likewise the greatest chance and the greatest scourge of mankind."
    That new company is just for evidence of buildings and related costs.
    It has nothing to do with activity that do other companies (wholesale)

Problem is that for exxample , responsibility center of new company is present in stock reports, analysis, ... of other companies and people are confused from what is that .. etc.

So we wanted to separate it like I said

I'ts quite weird, I can have dozen of companies, but can't use different DB for one of them .. even on 1 SQL server
  • matttraxmatttrax Member Posts: 2,309
    There's nothing stopping you from doing it on one SQL server as you are now. It's just against the licensing terms.
    I know, we can do it technically... (we have testing DB made like that)
    But I wanted (and still want) to do it also legally :-)
  • einsTeIn.NETeinsTeIn.NET Member Posts: 1,050
    Personally I think if you have to hide something from users then maybe there is something wrong in your relationship to the users. Of course some informations have to be restricted but that can be solved by access rights. You could limit the user roles to a certain company and you could use security filters for responsibility center.
    "Money is likewise the greatest chance and the greatest scourge of mankind."
  • Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    matttrax wrote:
    There's nothing stopping you from doing it on one SQL server as you are now. It's just against the licensing terms.

In another words, this is illegal and the company will be liable if a disgruntled employee reports them.
  • ssinglassingla Member Posts: 2,973
    You can contact your partner and discuss with Local Partner Account Manager of Microsoft. 150+ user can very easily entitle you for distributed license.
    CA Sandeep Singla
    http://ssdynamics.co.in
    We discussed it with partner & also with Microsoft .. and as u said.. it is illegal, and the only way is to buy new license. For what we need , the simpliest way would be to buy som "out of box" accounting SW for a few bucks. Even we will lost "integration" with NAV ... btw .. was someone of you so confused with Microsoft , that you changed NAV (AX) for another SW? If so , which one?
  • rhpntrhpnt Member Posts: 688
    rixrix wrote:
    Only 1-2 persons (onece a month) will be working in this new company ....
    rixrix wrote:
    We discussed it with partner & also with Microsoft .. and as u said. it is illegal, and the only way is to buy new license.
    Why don't you buy an additional license then? We're talking about 1.500 - 3.000€. For a company which until now has spend over 150.000€ on the current license this should not be an issue.

rixrix wrote:
    I'ts quite weird, I can have dozen of companies, but can't use different DB for one of them .. even on 1 SQL server
    Actually it's not. If you would have bought the right license in the first place then you wouldn't have this issue right now. There are clear guidelines from MS about granule usage for partners and customers.