How to calculate accumulated balance on report

victoriavictoria Member Posts: 16
Hi all,

I've created a simple report based on table 17 - G/L Entry. I added "Debit Amount" and "Credit Amount" fields and now want to create a field called "Balance" (or "Accumulated Balance") which will be calculating accum. balance for the lines.

On G/L Entry - OnAfterGetRecord() I added the following code:

AccBalance := AccBalance + Amount;

AccBalance is now appearing under "Balance" heading in my report (see picture).

When I run a report for a few G/L Accounts, I can see that my accum. balance for the second account is calculating accum. balance incorrectly - it takes an accumulated balance from the 1st account and adds up debit/credit amounts, which it shouldn't do, it should reset the value somehow.

Could you suggest how I can modify the code to resolve this problem?

Many thanks.

Answers

• matttraxmatttrax Member Posts: 2,309
    Well, every time the G/L Account number changes you need to reset your value to zero, which you've already stated. Think about what you need to get that. I'll give you two options and let you go from there.

1) You can have a G/L Account data item in your report
    2) You can have a variable that keeps track of the last G/L Account that was displayed

So, knowing that, what should come next?
  • victoriavictoria Member Posts: 16
    Hi mattrax,

I've added G/L Account data item in my report, if you could suggest what is the next step?
    Sorry I am not a developer (I am a NAV consultant) so my questions could sound odd to you, just have started learning the reports.

Many thanks for your help.

Victoria
  • matttraxmatttrax Member Posts: 2,309
    Which report trigger fires when you get a new record from the database? Your code should go in a similar place as the code you are using to sum up the amount. But instead of summing you want to reset it to zero.
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    Why write code? Just use the wizard to create a report with group totals.
    David Singleton
    David,

I used a wizard to create this report, which is fine. Group totals are ok, the issue is with the calculation of accumulated balance for each line (the similar way as on a standard Customer Statement report, where Balance column has accumulated balances).
    matttrax wrote:
    Which report trigger fires when you get a new record from the database? Your code should go in a similar place as the code you are using to sum up the amount. But instead of summing you want to reset it to zero.

G/L Entry data item. I calculate accum. balances in G/L Entry - OnAfterGetRecord() section. Do I need to use RESET function or just use something similar to AccBalance := 0; ?
  • Maria-SMaria-S Member Posts: 90
    Hello Victoria,
    I suggest to press F9 on the section that shows your "Total for GL Account" and add code on the OnPostSection trigger: AccBalance := 0;
  • AlbertvhAlbertvh Member Posts: 516
    Hi Victoria,

in the OnPreDataitem add code there
    CurrReport.Createtotals(Accum);

Albert
    Maria-S wrote:
    Hello Victoria,
    I suggest to press F9 on the section that shows your "Total for GL Account" and add code on the OnPostSection trigger: AccBalance := 0;

Hi Maria,

I did as you suggested and it resolved the issue, thank you very much! :D Now my report displays accum. balances correctly.

Thanks!