Conversion Message with Nav 4.03 BL 25143

slowhandfanslowhandfan Member Posts: 56
I have a client that is running server 2005 and Nav 4.03 Build Level 23305... This will not run on Work Stations that use Windows 7......
I ugraded one work station to Nav 4.03 Build Level 25143 and I am getting a message that

the Database on Server must be converted before you can use it with this version of Navision
If you convert it, older versions will not be able to use it

Has anyone seen this before? DO I need to convert all the work stations? Do I need to reinstall the server on the server first?

ANy Info? Please help.... Thx in avance

Comments

• einsTeIn.NETeinsTeIn.NET Member Posts: 1,050
    edited 2010-10-25
    That is quite normal when you update to a newer client. In some cases it is not necessary to convert the database when you just switched to a higher Build No. But in your case it is.

Yes, you'll have to update all client work stations.

Try to search the forum for it, you will get much more topics on that.
    "Money is likewise the greatest chance and the greatest scourge of mankind."
  • krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,110
    Yes, it is a normal question, but with big impact.

Each Navision database is to be used by a certain NAV version (eg. 4.0SP3) with a certain build (23305).

If you have a new client (or a hotfix for it), the build changes. This can be how some data is saved in the database or how the client behaves. This can make 2 client builds incompatible. So the new build asks to convert the database. Generally it does not take long. BUT this means that you have to update ALL clients and NAS. If you don't those will NOT be able to work anymore.

Generally I advise to do the upgrade (even for a build) on a test DB (a copy of your production DB) to see if all works normally. If all works well, you can upgrade ALL clients and NAS and convert the production DB (BUT FIRST MAKE A BACKUP TO KEEP SAVE).
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!

• FDickschatFDickschat Member Posts: 380
    I have a client that is running server 2005 and Nav 4.03 Build Level 23305
    I assume with server 2005 you mean SQL Server 2005. In this case you don't need to do anything on the server side (apart from checking whether the server is updated with the latest Service Packs / Hotfixes).

The conversion process will convert the database on the server. The first client connecting to the DB will start the conversion. When it is done you can usually only connect to the database if all clients have the same build no.

First try on a testsystem. An update usually is rather fast but sometimes it could take a considerable amount of time.

But one question: If you update all clients to the new version why don't you go to the latest build but only to 4.03 update 6 (=25143)? Or to the latest 6.01 client?

Search the forum for database conversion and you will find lots of posts.
    Frank Dickschat
    FD Consulting
  • krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,110
    FDickschat wrote:
    Or to the latest 6.01 client?
    Correct. NAV 4.0SP3 is not supported anymore by Microsoft.
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!