Specifying a Printer Tray

Cali_KoppersCali_Koppers Member Posts: 19
I need some help from those who have experience in this.

I am aware of the Printer Selection table so I know how to send a print job to a specific printer in the network by USERID. How do I specify which tray the printer needs to use for a specific print job? For example, Tray 3 is a dedicated tray for a pre-printed form. How do I instruct Navision to print to that specific tray for a specific print job (report)?

Thank you for your help.

Comments

• kapamaroukapamarou Member Posts: 1,152
    viewtopic.php?f=23&t=39835&hilit=printer+tray

Search the forum for printer tray.
  • FDickschatFDickschat Member Posts: 380
    You could also create Queues per printer and tray. I usually use the following naming convention:
    - Printer1 (Standard Printer, no Tray preselected)
    - Printer1-T1 (Standard Printer, Tray 1)
    - Printer1-T2 (Standard Printer, Tray 2)
    - Printer1-T3 (Standard Printer, Tray 3)
    Frank Dickschat
    FD Consulting
  • Cali_KoppersCali_Koppers Member Posts: 19
    FDickschat wrote:
    You could also create Queues per printer and tray. I usually use the following naming convention:
    - Printer1 (Standard Printer, no Tray preselected)
    - Printer1-T1 (Standard Printer, Tray 1)
    - Printer1-T2 (Standard Printer, Tray 2)
    - Printer1-T3 (Standard Printer, Tray 3)

Can you be more specific?
  • SogSog Member Posts: 1,023
    The only way tray selection can be done out of nav that I know of is to install the same printer as many times it has trays in Windows (and/or AD) (and in the previous post even # trays + 1). Nav can only access the printer, not the options for that printer. So you have to install the same printer several times, and select the default tray (or disable all not used trays) for that printer "instance". So when NAV prints to that printer, it will come out of the correct tray.
    |Pressing F1 is so much faster than opening your browser|
    |To-Increase|
  • FDickschatFDickschat Member Posts: 380
    Thanks sog, I couldn't explain it any better. The same applies if the printer has a stapler, sorter,...
    For every hardware option (we want to use from NAV) we just install a new printer (queue) on the server and in that printer instance set the tray, stapler, sorter options as defaults.
    Frank Dickschat
    FD Consulting