Windows Group assign to NAV Role

sonythansonythan Member Posts: 21
Hi,
i need some enlightenment here :D
Can NAV 5.01 use Windows user group in their Windows login so i don't have to assign every user in our active directory one by one??
Example:
Group.Accounting have 20 users
Group.Finance have 15 users
Group.Sales have 30 users
Group.SupplyChain have 20 users
Group.Warehouse have 50 users

Can i just registered these groups and assign each group to each role and menu of their own so i don't have to register all user to NAV.
I just think it's not efficient if i have to register it to NAV and Active Directory.
So if there is a new staff I just have to register him/her to our Domain Controller.

Thank you

Comments

• matttraxmatttrax Member Posts: 2,309
    You can't setup the MenuSuites by group, only user.
  • kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    But yes, you can assign the users into the groups, setup the roles for the groups in NAV and than you only need to insert the user into NAV but you do not need to assign him any role. He will have all roles assigned to all groups he is member of. Of course, you need to think about all possible tests when you want to know if user is member of some role in NAV. There could be code which will not work in this case correctly. But you need to have the user account there to be able to add it into user setup, printer selection etc...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • sonythansonythan Member Posts: 21
    Thank you for the answer.

I just curious because i already assign a user into a group in active directory.
    And than i just assign that group into NAV user and not assign the user. It works... But when i move the database into another server it is suddenly it won't work anymore.
    The error message that is
    "The combination of user ID and password entered is invalid. Try again."
    1) Try to synchronize the permissions in NAV
    2) Check that you have both Extended stored procedures installed on the server (xp_ndo.dll)
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
    I have synchronize the user.
    And I have already have xp_ndo.dll (the 64 bit version).

This morning u try it again and yes sometimes user in group can access the NAV. But sometimes can't... :shock: ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)
    BTW I'm using

Microsoft Dynamic NAV 5.01
    Microsoft SQL Server 2008 in Mixed Mode (Database and Windows authentication) SP2
    Microsoft Windows 2008 Standard Edition with newest Service Pack for Database Server and Domain Controller.
    LS-Retail

Thanks In Advance :D
    Soni
    Are all the users directly members of the groups used in NAV? It is not working when the users are member of group, which is member of the group used in NAV... ;-) just to be sure...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
    Hi, :D:D
    Thank your for your quick respond.

All user are member of the group (Active Directory Group). And yes those groups are assign as Windows Login in NAV.

The problem is sometimes they can login and sometimes can't...

This morning i try to use user test and it works. Right after lunch it won't work anymore.

Is there any bug in NAV?? or maybe the bug only in the xp_ndo.dll??
    1) Check the event logs
    2) Which security mode you are using? Standard or enhanced?
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
    There are some error in Event Viewer (in Application Log)
    The event id is 1530, 1515 and 1511. But the user who trigger that error is not the one who i create for testing purpose. most of it is System user.

Security mode that i use is standard. I already try to change from enhaced to standard but the problem still appear.

Now i just try to remove xp_ndo.dll and try to install it again.

Sony
    You need to narrow your research:

Are the problems connected to
    a) specific PC, regardless which user
    b) specific user regardless on which PC
    c) randomly for different users on different PCs
    d) in some specific time for same group of people
    etc.
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
    It happens Randomly.
    But after i install the xt_ndo.dll (again) the problem gone.
    And i just knew that if we just make a new user in active directory, the user cannot directly use the application right away. I think NAV need time to synchronize with active directory.