Error Open DB: "The <computer_name> server cannot be found"

AndwianAndwian Member Posts: 627
Dear experts,

I am facing an error message when I Open Database in NAV SQL Server Option 5 SP1.

Microsoft Dynamics NAV
The <computer_name> server cannot be found.

OK

PS. <computer_name> is my computer name.

Also when I login to SQL Server, I caught this:
TITLE: Connect to Server

Cannot connect to <computer_name>.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server) (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 2)

For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdName ... nkId=20476

BUTTONS:

OK

Any kind of help is very appreciated. I could not work if I could not login :(

Thank you in advance.

Regards,
Andwian
Regards,
Andwian

Answers

• geronimogeronimo Member Posts: 90
    are you trying to connect to a local server(your own pc) or a remote server? it seems like the protocol for named pipes is not enabled in sql.

Do you want to use named pipes to connect to the server (you can change the connection protocol under options in both nav as sql when logging on)

if to a remote server you can check the sql server 2005 surface area configuration to see if it allows external connections.
  • AndwianAndwian Member Posts: 627
    Thank you for replying.
    geronimo wrote:
    are you trying to connect to a local server(your own pc) or a remote server?
    Local Server.
    geronimo wrote:
    it seems like the protocol for named pipes is not enabled in sql.
    How to enabled it? because it was well before.
    geronimo wrote:
    Do you want to use named pipes to connect to the server (you can change the connection protocol under options in both nav as sql when logging on)
    I have tried, however still could not.

Anyway, after review my Services, the SQL Server (MSSQLSERVER) is set to Automatic Started, but not in the Started state. Unfortunately, when I tried to start it, the error arouse:

Services
    Could not start the SQL Server (MSSQLSERVER) service on Local Computer.
    Error 1069: The service did not start due to a logon failure.
    OK
    Regards,
    Andwian
  • DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,305
    Oh I had that the first time I had installed SQL Server on my laptop years ago because I had set up my MSSQLSERVER under my own network login. At some point I had to change my password, and next time my computer restarted, SQL Server wouldnt start with that error.

Go to Services under administrative tools and browse to the MSSQLSERVER service. Open the properties page and retype your password on the Login tab. The alternative would be to change the user ID to one that would never change its password.
  • AndwianAndwian Member Posts: 627
    DenSter wrote:
    At some point I had to change my password, and next time my computer restarted, SQL Server wouldnt start with that error.
    I also doing this earlier, change the Windows Login password. Not realize that this will lead into this sort of error.
    DenSter wrote:
    Go to Services under administrative tools and browse to the MSSQLSERVER service. Open the properties page and retype your password on the Login tab. The alternative would be to change the user ID to one that would never change its password.
    After review the MSSQLSERVER Properties, and yes I get the Log On tab, it was currently Log on as: This Account that only "./PC". Unknown login. Then after I change into Local System Account, it works!

Thanks God, and you, Daniel! I can work now, as a ton of work load is in queue. \:D/

Anyway, what is the "Allow services to interact with desktop" checkbox in the properties? Should it be okay to left it blank?
    Regards,
    Andwian