Should NAS be on same 64 bit server as SQL?

JosephGressJosephGress Member Posts: 36
I have a client who will be moving NAV from Windows Server 2003 and SQL Server 2005 to Windows Server 2008 64 Bit and SQL Server 2008 R2. They have a NAV Application Server that is currently installed on the same server as SQL. Their performance is satisfactory on the existing server most of the time.

I am considering the following three options for where to install the NAV Application Server with the new hardware.
Option 1. On the same Windows Server 2008 64 Bit server that SQL is installed on.
Option 2. On a separate virtual Windows Server 2008 64 Bit server
Option 3. On a separate virtual Windows Server 2008 32 Bit server

I am leaning toward Option 1 for simplicity. I reviewed the hardware and installation guides and didn’t find anything that suggested this would be a problem.

My questions:
1) Is there any reason not to go with option 1?
2) If so, which is better: Option 2 or Option 3?

Thanks
Joseph Gress
Joseph Gress

Comments

• bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    First there is of course the arguement that SQL Server should always be a dedicated server. However that is not always possible even though I try to stick to that has much as possible. With NAS, where I will install depends on how it is going to be used. If it will strictly be runing off-hours processing (such as Adjust Cost) then I may install on the SQL Box as these processes will run faster. If the NAS will be running processes during the day or handling files from external sources then I like to see it on a separate system.

On one site I work with we have 1 NAS installed on the SQL Server (runs Adjust Cost) (server is Windows 2008 R2 + SQL 2008 R2). A second NAS is on a separate virtual server (Windows 2008 32 bit) running on a different physical server.
    There are no bugs - only undocumented features.
  • mandykmandyk Member Posts: 57
    Hi Joseph,

If I were you, I will go with option 3, with some reason for your consideration:
    1. SQL & NAS require different authorization access department.
    IT client department sometime has strict permission to access DB server while NAS service ownership is belong to application maintenance support. You might need to restart NAS services for some reason and add additional NAS instances and installing some additional component to work with NAS due some additional features in your apps. Thus with options 3, your SQL server is clean and secure from any of this and should perform maximum speed to support client user access and NAS
    services.
    2. Although NAS might compatible with 64 bit of OS, it might be not aware/support 64 bit. Means NAS may doesn't use any benefit of 64 bit of OS. Please be prepare some anomalies that can come up along the way and whether you can take this risk.

3. If your solution of the requirement in the future require additional component and need to purchase a 3rd party component, then you are limited to 64 bit editions.
  • bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    mandyk,

I agree with much of what you said with the following comments:

Why would the different authorization methods matter? NAS is just a another client accessing SQL. NAV (SQL) has no problems working in mixed mode. I don't see this as a driving factor in determining NAS location.

NAS runs fine under a 64 bit O/S with one exception. That is if NAS needs to print. In this situation, NAS should either be installed on a 32 bit O/S or be the only application that needs printer access on that server.

Your description of the multi-level It department tends to be the exception rather then the rule for the typical IT department. Many NAV customers don't even have IT departments.
    There are no bugs - only undocumented features.
  • Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    My questions:
    1) Is there any reason not to go with option 1?
    2) If so, which is better: Option 2 or Option 3?

Thanks
    Joseph Gress

The reason would be the cost of maintenance.

Strictly technically speaking, option 3 is the best since NAS is a 32 bit application and it's not recommended to run 32 processes on a 64 bit server.

In practice, you need to make the process as simple as possible for yourself and your client so downtime is minimal when there are problems.
  • JosephGressJosephGress Member Posts: 36
    Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I have decided to go with Option 3 for all of the reasons that you've made.
    Joseph Gress