Posting date, document date and work date

dkgardendkgarden Member Posts: 38
Hi all,

I am a bit confuse on the 3 different dates in navision. Can some 1 please explain to me?

Lets said i have this scenario.

Scenario 1
I have a Purchase Order on 15 Aug. Received goods on 23 Aug and only receive the invoice on 10th Sept. The invoice is dated 23 Aug as well. Lets said on 10 Sept my finance has not close the account for Aug. So should they put the posting date as 23 Aug or 10th Sept?

Scenario 2
Lets said is same as scenario 1 but on 10th Sept my finance already close Aug month. So may i know what is the posting date they should put when posting the invoice?

Regards,
dk

Comments

• matttraxmatttrax Member Posts: 2,309
    Those are business process questions that your company should decide on. In our company we have a "soft close" a few days after the end of the month, then the finance department can do their adjustments without other people changing the numbers.
  • SogSog Member Posts: 1,023
    edited 2010-10-22
    For those described scenario's that is indeed something your company should decide on.
    Definitions:
    Workdate: the date on which you are working in the system: usually the same date as the date it really is.
    New created documents will be datestamped with the workdate.
    Document date: the date the document is created. This is editable, because a document can be inserted into NAV later than it was created.This date has effect on expiration, discount, ... dates.
    Posting date: the date that the document was or will be posted.
    |Pressing F1 is so much faster than opening your browser|
    |To-Increase|
  • AndwianAndwian Member Posts: 627
    dkgarden wrote:
    Scenario 1
    I have a Purchase Order on 15 Aug. Received goods on 23 Aug and only receive the invoice on 10th Sept. The invoice is dated 23 Aug as well. Lets said on 10 Sept my finance has not close the account for Aug. So should they put the posting date as 23 Aug or 10th Sept?
    matttrax wrote:
    Those are business process questions that your company should decide on.
    I agree with Matt, that it is a more Business Process query, than the application query.

One that should be noted that, the Payment Term is counted right from the Posting Date of the Posted Purchase Invoice. Hence, if the Payment Term is, let's say 1M from the Receipt Date, you should take it to 23 Aug. Usually, I do not close the Accounting Period for that August period, instead just setup the Allow Posting From to Sept for Operational user, except for the Finance people, the Posting Date range is wider.

Order Date: defaulted to WORKDATE. The date of the order created.
    Document Date: The Date that the Payment Term will be counted from.
    Posting Date: The Date of the Posting: Receipt or Invoice.
    Regards,
    Andwian