Developer licensing / partner questions

JeffreyBaneJeffreyBane Member Posts: 6
Hi all,
I have a client I do lots of contracting for and I've been working on their NAV implementation for a while now as well.
They are very unhappy with their partner and they'd like me to transition into handling their navision setup full time as well. I'm comfortable doing this, however I don't completely understand the licensing issues. (Their patner has done some customizations, I'm not sure to what extent currently.)
They have an end user license and it's my understanding that never expires (I know that's not a maintenance agreement).
They may own a developer license as well, I have to check with their software guy, he's out this week.

But assuming all they have is the end user license, what's involved in getting a developer license and how much is does it cost?
Also, how does a developer differ from a partner and what's the cost there?
I appreciate everyone's input. It's version 5, SP1 if that matters.

Thanks in advance,
Jeff

Comments

• Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    You basically have to purchase the Application Designer granule which is about $8,000.00. This should alow you to build the necessary applications to support your client's needs.

If you need to modify the protected tables (G/L Entry, Cust. ledger, etc), then you will need the Solution Developer granule, which is $28,000.00
  • rhpntrhpnt Member Posts: 688
    It's not that easy to take over a customer. You have to be very carefull which granules the customer license includes and what add-ons have been integrated from the current partner. Now, if the add-on is registered as an MS granule you'll have no chance to lay hands on it.
    The scenario you're in is typical for customers demanding heavy customization beyond the point of MS NAV rules of engagement. Certified partners often refuse such doing so the customer searches for an individual who doesn't know those rules and is willing to do more or less anything they request.
    Since stating that you don't know the licensing part I presume that those rules are also an enigma to you. Read them first, compare them to the demands of the customer and then decide to take the job. There is much more to being a NAV responsible partner/person for a customer than programming...
  • matttraxmatttrax Member Posts: 2,309
    You're still going to need a NAV Partner for licensing changes and dealing with Microsoft should the need arise. I took over at my current company and have done (I think) a good job with it for the past 3+ years, but I still have to deal with our partner occasionally. Paying maintenance fees and even the odd support request.

I suppose what I am getting at is that the company can't just cut the partner out of the picture and you do not have the ability to be a partner on your own. So they need to find one that they like, even if you are doing their development for them.
  • Marije_BrummelMarije_Brummel Member, Moderators Design Patterns Posts: 4,262
    I agree with above.

I am taking care of a handfull of highly customised installations but I'm not a partner myself. The investment in becomming a partner is huge and reading your story not worth it.

My suggestion would be to search for an existing partner that you trust and agree on who does what. This is what I did and it is working well.
  • Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    I don't think the original poster's question was to become a NAV partner, rather, be hired as an inhouse NAV developer.
  • JeffreyBaneJeffreyBane Member Posts: 6
    I agree with above.

I am taking care of a handfull of highly customised installations but I'm not a partner myself. The investment in becomming a partner is huge and reading your story not worth it.

My suggestion would be to search for an existing partner that you trust and agree on who does what. This is what I did and it is working well.

Sounds like that would be the route to go. So if they retain their partner, I would then be able to develop for them under the partner's license, or I'd still need my own?
  • Marije_BrummelMarije_Brummel Member, Moderators Design Patterns Posts: 4,262
    It depends on the agreement you can make with the partner. It depends on their cooperability.

Some help, some don't.
  • JeffreyBaneJeffreyBane Member Posts: 6
    It depends on the agreement you can make with the partner. It depends on their cooperability.

Some help, some don't.

Thanks, appreciate the info from everyone.