How to make a Navision base database (.fdb) file as a server

vinoth_navvinoth_nav Member Posts: 31
How to make a Navision base database (.fdb) file as a server?
How to access it from client?
I have a vague idea that the Server has to be run as windows services and in client we have to write a .bat file to access the server.
Can any one help me how to make a service to run in server with Navision base database file i.e a file with .fdb extension and the code to be written in the .bat file?
](*,)
With warm regards,
Vinoth Kumar.J M.Sc(CT),MBSP,MCTS.
Techno-Functional Consultant
Mobile : +91-7418577075
E mail : vinoth_nav@yahoo.co.in

Answers

• Luc_VanDyckLuc_VanDyck Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 3,633
    The \Doc folder on the ProductDVD contains a document w1w1ism.pdf. This is the manual "Installation & System Management: C/SIDE Database Server for Microsoft Dynamics NAV", which describes the installation process of the NAV database server.
    No support using PM or e-mail - Please use this forum. BC TechDays 2024: 13 & 14 June 2024, Antwerp (Belgium)
  • sudhakarsvsudhakarsv Member Posts: 100
    Code to be written in the batch file

server servername=servname,database=dbname,nettype=tcp,installasservice

Install NAV database server.
    Go to C:\program files\Microsoft NAV .....This is the path where the NAV server is installed
    Take a copy the database server folder and then save as this folder with some name in the same path.

create a batch file as mentioned above and then paste this in to the new db server folder.
    Run the the bat file.

make sure that you add the port for the new service in the services file.

eg. if the new service name is stnavho
    create a new entry for this in the services file
    stnavho 2410/tcp
    Regards,
    S.V.Sudhakar
  • vinoth_navvinoth_nav Member Posts: 31
    Thanks Mr.Luc Van Dyck.
    Thanks Mr.S.V.Sudhakar.
    With warm regards,
  • krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,110
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!

• vinoth_navvinoth_nav Member Posts: 31
    Dear Alain Krikilion,
    Thanks. It worked out.
    Now i need to create a .BAT file so that after running it Navision Opens with particular Database, with particular company, with particular User ID and Password. How to do that? What is the code needed to be written?

Then i have tried to set up the start up parameter to connect to the Server Directly in the "Start in" as mentioned in the Implementation guide. But it did not worked out. Do i have to set the Stat up parameter in every client or in Server Only?
    Please Advise.
    With warm regards,
  • krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,110
    You don't need to create a .bat. You can just create a shortcut to your fin.exe with some parameters in it:

C:\NAV\NAV400SP3ITU6\fin.exe NTAUTHENTIFICATION=1, nettype=tcp, SERVERNAME=yourserver:yourport, COMPANY="Your Company", ID="Z:\ZUP\%username%.zup"

-NTAUTHENTIFICATION=1: 1 means to use the windows authentication. If you use 0, you use DB-identification and it is NOT possible to give userid+password as parameters.
    -nettype=tcp : the connectiontype you want to use (don't use TCPS. it must be the same as the one you used for installing the server.
    -SERVERNAME=yourserver:yourport (yourserver: the name of the server (or it's TCP/IP ; yourport: if you don't use the default port, you might need to specify also the port)
    -COMPANY="Your Company" : the company that should open automatically.
    -ID="Z:\ZUP\%username%.zup": if you want the zup-file of all users to be created on a network-drive (easier to manage for backing them up or deleting them if it is corrupt), you can specify which one it should be.
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!