Just starting with NAV business notifications. Few Questions

adam355adam355 Member Posts: 2
I have NAV 2009 SP1 and am running SQL Server 2008 R2 64 bit. An app server and sql server that are both Server 2008 R2 64 bit I am looking to get business notifications up and running and am having some confusion about its prerequisites and how it should be setup.

This guide seems a little old... Where should I install what? Why does the server need a sql server for notifications or are the referring to the nav database?
http://www.bahramov.com/wp-content/uplo ... nGuide.pdf

The pre-requisites on here do not make sense considering there is no such thing as SQL Server 2008 Notification Services. http://www.solsyst.com/pdf/NAV2009SP1_S ... ements.pdf

Also do I really need to burn a full license of sql 2005 to install the notification services 05 if I do not put the business notifications server on my sql server? I don't event think you can install it on a 64 bit server os.

Any help would be appreciated I just need a some direction to get started!

Comments

• bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    adam355 wrote:
    ...Also do I really need to burn a full license of sql 2005 to install the notification services 05 if I do not put the business notifications server on my sql server? ...

A SQL Server license applies to any server-side component. If you install any piece of SQL Server you need a valid license. For example let's say you purchase SQL Server and install the database engine on one server. Then you decide to install SQL Reporting Services on a different server. You would need a second license. The same would be applicable to Business Notifications.
    There are no bugs - only undocumented features.
  • kmankman Member Posts: 12
    The list below has the prerequisites for Business Notification:
    -SQL Server 2005 Notification Services
    -SQL 2005 SP3
    -SQLXML 3.0 (I have SQLXML 4.0 installed)
    -.NET Framework 3.5
    -Microsoft Dynamics NAV 2009 Client Components
    -Microsoft Dynamics NAV 2009 Business Notification Manager
    -IIS Components

You are right the Installation guide does not in anyway assist and Microsoft talks of MS SQL Server 2008 Notification Services that does not exist.
    You can use the above prerequisites to install BN. If you suceed in installing and configuring your schemes let me know that the challenge Im having.
    Someone mentioned that BN does not work on NAV 2009 SP1 but he did not mention as to why, so I dont believe that, some how it works.
    All the best.

Also you need to install BN on Windows Server (20003 or 2008) 32 bit version or else you will get errors during installation.