NAV v4 vs technical upgrade to v5 vs full v5

rixrixrixrix Member Posts: 121
Hello friends,

Can you please give me some answers ?

We are on NAV v4 and these days we are doing technical upgrade to v5
1st we (our implementing company) made db changes so we can use v5 client.
2nd step will be to change db so Views will be used beside SIFT (or how it shoild be ...)

But we were told that we still wil not work with "NAV v5"
Because we have to do "all object" upgrade.

Can you please tell me what "good" will this last step bring to us (if any)?
Less blockings, higher speed?
It is most expensive step, so we are not decided yet ...

thank you

Comments

• matttraxmatttrax Member Posts: 2,309
    The upgrades that have been done so far for you have all been "back end". The part of NAV that talks directly to the SQL database was rewritten for NAV 5. So you will see some performance gain there.

With the object upgrade you get all of the bug fixes and new functionality that comes from NAV 5. Front end updates if you will, like Document Approvals.
  • diptish.naskardiptish.naskar Member Posts: 360
    By the object upgrade you will get the new functionality enhancements and bug fixes released by MS. But yes if you have got customizations in your database then you have to take care of those also.
    Diptish Naskar
    For any queries you can also visit my blog site: http://msnavarena.blogspot.com/
  • matttraxmatttrax Member Posts: 2,309
    But yes if you have got customizations in your database then you have to take care of those also.

Don't mistake this for saying that you HAVE to do an object upgrade. You can use 4.0 code / objects with 5.0 executables as long as you want.
  • rixrixrixrix Member Posts: 121
    Thank you vey much for the answers.

Can you tell me , does it worth upgrading objects to v5 ?
    I mean are the fixes and enhancements so "must have" ?

Only problems we now have are mostly (of course) caused by blockings and quite low speed
    (200 users total, 2x Xeon,32GB ram, MSSQL2005 + 2x citrix servers for remote users (100) (2x Xeon,14GB ram each)

2. A little bit different question
    In v5 client there are icons for exporting data (from grids,forms) directly to Word, Excel - I tried that by installing local (not Sql) demo database.

In our installation (v5 technical upgrade) these icons doesn't work. 1.st error was that programs are not defined in "Send-to program" table. So I defined that exactly as it is in that demo db. There is no error now, but screen just "blinks" and nothing happens.
    Also StyleSheet management form the Menu doesn't work

Is that because we do not have "full" v5 database?
    Can I somehow make it work with our installation?
    It just creates .xml - I think it can't be too difficult

Thank you in advance
  • SogSog Member Posts: 1,023
    1: The must-have factor of V5 depends on what your priorities are, but since you work in a large user-environment I would say yes, blocking is reduced severely between 4 and 5, this because the code in the objects has been updated to query the server more efficiently.
    2:Yes, it is because you don't have the full 5 objects. these objects consist of tables, code, ... amongst other the code to export to excel and word using stylesheets. You can make it work if you import the a part of the new objects (the ones used for exporting) from V5, and then some more work to make the objects compatible with v4.
    |Pressing F1 is so much faster than opening your browser|
    |To-Increase|