How do we best document changes

willywilly Member Posts: 67
Hi!

we are working on a project internally to get ours programmers to code and comment changes in a common way.
what we are trying to do, is to make a "best practice manual", which includes naming conventions, code structure ++

in the cal programming guide we have found some guidelines on how to write code and naming of objects,variables ++

what I could not find, were a document which is telling us about documentation, version tagging ++

do you guys know if there is a manual/white paper or something about this??

Comments

• lvanvugtlvanvugt Member Posts: 774
    The minimum for this has been defined in the C/AL Programming Guide. This only addresses the info to be put in the documentation trigger.

At the MS Dynamcis GDL team (i.e. the team that used to take of the localization of Dynamics products, but has ceased to be) we used an xml format for this. Before release this is removed. However, in local versions, codeunit 1 is in general not cleaned.

The info in the documentation trigger relates to in-code comments using start and ending marker:
      //nl0001.begin
      //nl0001.end

In between these start en end markers you can find:
      added code, i.e. code required for your project/solution/add-on
      outcommented code, i.e. standard NAV code that is not wanted/needed

Note
      The marker contains an id (in my example nl0001) that relates to a unique entry in the documentation trigger.
      This practice can be found at many partners, although the flavors may differ
    Luc van Vugt, fluxxus.nl
    Never stop learning
    Van Vugt's dynamiXs
    Dutch Dynamics Community