Translate german blog

genericgeneric Member Posts: 511
hello can somebody explain what they mean in this blog?

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/german_nav_deve ... anten.aspx

babelfish didn't help.

It sounds like you can somehow improve restoration with multiple clients?

Comments

• kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    If I understand it correctly, it is about rule to restore max. 20 companies in on SQL DB for NAV. In short: if you have Native DB with many companies, when restoring to SQL, restore only 20 companies per one DB on SQL. For other 20 use new DB. Of course, you will need to sync the "shared tables" between the databases... (like uses, roes, permissions and other), because now they will not be in one DB like before...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • FDickschatFDickschat Member Posts: 380
    Kines translation was more or less correct. But there is a little difference:

The Blog is about migrating a CSIDE DB with 100 companies to SQL. This can not be done in 1 step as you will receive an error during the import of the fbk.

The blog suggests to do it in these steps:
    - Create 5 backups of 20 companies each. (The first backup should contain also company independent tables and code - this is not mentioned in the blog but is obvious)
    - With finsql create a new DB and import the first backup
    - Close finsql
    - Restart the SQL server
    - Start finsql again and import the next backup with the next 20 companies into the same DB.
    - Repeat until done.

In the end they recommend to use no more than 20 companies in one SQL DB though (depending on the project, total DB size, size of single largest table,...).

From my own experience I can give the advice to increase the Object Cache in the client to 100+MB (I usually use 500MB and never had a problem).
    Frank Dickschat
    FD Consulting
  • kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    Thanks Frank for the correction. My German language is "schrecklich"... :-)
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • genericgeneric Member Posts: 511
    thank you.