Implementation strategy

dkgardendkgarden Member Posts: 38
Dear all,

I just joined a company and my first task is to revamp their Navision system. The issue here is the revamp is not as straight forward. User has already using the system for 4-5 years and the system is heavily customized. I don't think looking back at their code is a good choice as they have done a massive customization on forms, tables, dataport, codeunit etc.

Any suggestion on the implementation methodology for this kind of revamp? They are using version 4 now and wanna upgrade ot version 5 upon revamp.

Comments

• hardik_shahhardik_shah Member Posts: 219
    Its difficult task to upgrade database with this much customization....you have to find out Area where all customization have been done...is there any documentation of previous customization ? ? ? it will help you to proceed further.
  • dkgardendkgarden Member Posts: 38
    As far as i know they dont have any documentations on what has been cuztomise. The only way i can check is look into objects by objects. :(
  • crisnicolascrisnicolas Member Posts: 177
    Try asking the users. They probably don't know exactly what is standard and what has been customized, but they can tell you how they work and you'll find out what is not standard...
    Then, if there is no documentation, you'll probably have to do some digging into the code to really find out how it works.
  • matttraxmatttrax Member Posts: 2,309
    I think a better answer is that this is not a task for someone who has never used Navision. By all means, continue to go forward with the requirements gathering process as others have suggested, but this should not be done without the guidance of your NAV Partner.
  • diptish.naskardiptish.naskar Member Posts: 360
    Lets take it one by one!! What kind of revamp are you talking about apart from upgrading from 4 to NAV 5..it would be really great if you can elaborate a bit more on this, so that we can give you a much clearer picture of what needs to be done.

As you said this system is heavily customized, how many customized objects are being used in the db and what are the base objects that has been customized, can you share the numbers with us?
    Diptish Naskar
    For any queries you can also visit my blog site: http://msnavarena.blogspot.com/
  • kitikkitik Member Posts: 230
    matttrax wrote:
    I think a better answer is that this is not a task for someone who has never used Navision

He just said he joined a new company, not that he is new in Navision.

Salut!
    Laura Nicolàs
    Author of the book Implementing Dynamics NAV 2013
    Cursos Dynamics NAV (spanish) : http://clipdynamics.com/ - A new lesson released every day.