Options

Running Classic reports from RTC fails

rocatisrocatis Member Posts: 163
edited 2010-09-27 in NAV Three Tier
I've deleted the RDL layout from report 111. Trying to run the report from RTC I get an error. It's in Danish despite English being selected for both the RTC and the Classic Client.

The Danish error message is "Microsoft Dynamics NAV Classic-klienten blev åbnet fra en komponent, som der ikke er tillid til", which roughly translates into "The Microsoft Dynamics NAV Classic Client was opened from a component which is not trusted".

Any suggestions?
Brian Rocatis
Senior NAV Developer
Elbek & Vejrup

Comments

• Options
    BlackBirdBlackBird Member Posts: 52
    i think that this hotfix should solve your error: https://mbs2.microsoft.com/Knowledgebas ... RWWLKLOKZR (KB article 969448).
  • Options
    BlackBird wrote:
    i think that this hotfix should solve your error
    No questioning that it describes my problem exactly. Problem is, it suggests to me to install build 28981 and I'm already on build 31510.
    Brian Rocatis
    Senior NAV Developer
    Elbek & Vejrup
  • Options
    pdjpdj Member Posts: 643
    That could be because your build isn't all the files from build 31510, but only the files needed for whatever problem it was meant to solve. It is only once in a while they make a full release of a build, so we can't assume to have all previous fixes just because we have a higher build no. Try checking which files are included in the two builds...
    I think the only solution is to install the hotfix with build 28981 and then upgrade it again with build 31510.
    Regards
    Peter
  • Options
    BlackBirdBlackBird Member Posts: 52
    And always make sure that all objects in the RTC, Classic, Servicefolder have matching buildnumbers.
  • Options
    pdj wrote:
    we can't assume to have all previous fixes just because we have a higher build no.
    Yes, we can. Builds are accumulative.

For instance, all files in build 28981 are included in build 31510.

I've raised a support request with Microsoft.
    Brian Rocatis
    Senior NAV Developer
    Elbek & Vejrup
  • Options
    fitolfitol Member Posts: 46
    rocatis wrote:
    The Danish error message is "Microsoft Dynamics NAV Classic-klienten blev åbnet fra en komponent, som der ikke er tillid til", which roughly translates into "The Microsoft Dynamics NAV Classic Client was opened from a component which is not trusted".

I have experienced that error message as well.
    After making sure I used the same build no. for NST, RTC and CC it worked.

Edit:
    If you are using NAV 2009 SP1 be sure to use at least build no. 31587.
    It's a hotfix I got from MS where they have fixed some issues when running CC reports from RTC.
  • Options
    pdjpdj Member Posts: 643
    rocatis wrote:
    Builds are accumulative.
    Sounds great if they have changed it since NAV5SP1 where I often had problems because of that.

Like one hotfix included changes to the NAS, but the next hotfix didn't. Then the NAS files were simply not included in the second hotfix.
    Regards
    Peter
  • Options
    clauslclausl Member Posts: 455
    What is the reason for not keeping the layout?
    We will discontinue support for Classic reports in the future, so if there are issues blocking you for using RDLC reports I'm very much interested.
    This is really the time to come with this feedback.

Regards,
    Claus
    Claus Lundstrøm | MVP | Senior Product Manager | Continia.com
    I'm blogging here:http://mibuso.com/blogs/clausl and used to blog here: http://blogs.msdn.com/nav
    I'm also offering RDLC Report Training, ping me if you are interested. Thanks to the 700 NAV developers that have now already been at my training. You know you can always call if you have any RDLC report issues :-)
  • Options
    Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    clausl wrote:
    We will discontinue support for Classic reports in the future, so if there are issues blocking you for using RDLC reports I'm very much interested.
    This is really the time to come with this feedback.

Regards,
    Claus

Hi Claus, really simple: Sales Invoice, Order, etc. They are a bitch to create and maintain in the RDLC.
  • Options
    davmac1davmac1 Member Posts: 1,283
    I agree - we need an easy way to delete fields in the report designer that deletes them in the RDLC layout too.
    Also, it used to be easy to clone a report by changing table names - e.g. take a posted invoice report, change it to the unposted tables - can't do that without deleting the layout.
  • Options
    Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    On top of that, there has been no real attempt on the base product to take advantage of the RDLC features (document map, links, etc) on the out-of-the-box reports. So it makes it 10x harder to learn the RDLC reports unless you spend a ton of money taking classes or spend a lot of time going over the manuals.

It seems like the developers for the report at MSFT did just enough to replicate what was the vanilla report instead of making a nice report that can be put into production right away.

Standard NAV reporting can get away with crappy standard layout because it was so easy and quick to make the formatting changes, add new fields, etc. You cannot make the same case for RDLC reports.
  • Options
    clausl wrote:
    Report 111 was simply chosen as a test report because it's readily available from RTC... Usually it would not make sense deleting an existing layout.

However, it can make perfectly good sense to not do layouts for non-standard reports. I think you'll agree that the process is not exactly streamlined, and in any case you end up with two reports to maintain. If we define the task of creating or modifying a Classic report to 1, we're estimating 5 to 10 for the same report to run on both Classic and RTC. A lot of customers are not willing to pay that if they can still run the "old" report.

On top of that, having to maintain two (functionally) identical reports is frankly mindbogglingly boring and a constant source of error (the same report showing different results, depending on where you run it).
    We will discontinue support for Classic reports in the future
    We are well aware of that - we're just hoping for a less cumbersome way of developing and maintaining RDLC reports before that future arrives [-o<
    Brian Rocatis
    Senior NAV Developer
    Elbek & Vejrup
  • Options
    BlackBird wrote:
    i think that this hotfix should solve your error: https://mbs2.microsoft.com/Knowledgebas ... RWWLKLOKZR (KB article 969448).
    Well, yes and no.

The article indeed mentions exactly my problem (the correct error message was "Microsoft Dynamics NAV Classic client is opened from an untrustworthy component" which explains why all my searches for "not trusted" failed). Unfortunately it lists the resolve as installing a earlier build than the one I was already using.

Turns out the problem originated in the registry, specifically HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\. This key pointed to a v6.0 installation on my pc instead of my v6.01 installation.

Props to Zeeshan Mehdi from MS \:D/
    Brian Rocatis
    Senior NAV Developer
    Elbek & Vejrup
  • Options
    BeliasBelias Member Posts: 2,998
    Alex Chow wrote:
    On top of that, there has been no real attempt on the base product to take advantage of the RDLC features (document map, links, etc) on the out-of-the-box reports. So it makes it 10x harder to learn the RDLC reports unless you spend a ton of money taking classes or spend a lot of time going over the manuals.

It seems like the developers for the report at MSFT did just enough to replicate what was the vanilla report instead of making a nice report that can be put into production right away.

Standard NAV reporting can get away with crappy standard layout because it was so easy and quick to make the formatting changes, add new fields, etc. You cannot make the same case for RDLC reports.
    in this period, i started to bang my head on some layout intensive reports, and i have to admit that it was really crappy, slow and difficult to develop them (i've found hard time to understand why a report of mine worked :whistle: ). As i've been working on classic reports for about 4 years, i've formed a strong "nav-oriented" report development, with all his limitations.
    After a lot of struggling and a pair of bad developed reports, which i hope to not modify anymore, i started to think about "dataset-oriented" reports: i figured out that if you use only RTC version of the report, the NAV layout is USELESS, or better dangerous.
    i started to think about what is the deepest detail possible, and make my way through related tables in order to obtain the necessary values for grouping, sorting, summing etc.
    After that, i create a single body section with all my data, and i let the aggregate functions of the reporting services do the magic. I found them very powerful and flexible, and the grouping works great!!you can also manage these situations (which is difficult in classic client).

Group aggregate on item no. A
    group aggregate on item no. B
    group aggregate on item no. C

detail item no. a
    detail item no. a
    detail item no. b
    detail item no. a
    detail item no. c
    detail item no. b

Moreover, you can order the data as you prefer, without the need of a nav key. My conclusion is that we should push our development in the rdlc, and reduce the nav report to give us a properly flattened data detail.
    but of course, this is my personal experience, which is not much in the world of rdlc...
    -Mirko-
    "Never memorize what you can easily find in a book".....Or Mibuso
    My Blog
  • Options
    Belias wrote:
    My conclusion is that we should push our development in the rdlc, and reduce the nav report to give us a properly flattened data detail
    Well... The problem is that this is not what I think the "Classic -> RTC interface" was designed for. I'm sure there are more efficient ways of providing NAV data to Visual Studio than what they've come up with here (e.g. Reporting Services).

Conceptually I think it's a good idea to have the Classic report act as a data feeder to VS but when the transformation from theory to practice yields the result that we're now struggling with, it kinda stops making sense. We would probably have been better off creating and maintaining RTC reports completely disassociated from the Classic Client, not least because that is going to be the reality in the next version. In other words, the skills needed to make RTC reports work in NAV 2009 will be worthless when the next version arrives. And because those skills are associated with a rather steep learning curve I believe we'd be better off training for general VS skills than for making RTC report.

All this to explain why I wanted to run Classic reports from RTC in the first place :shock:
    Brian Rocatis
    Senior NAV Developer
    Elbek & Vejrup
  • Options
    BeliasBelias Member Posts: 2,998
    There surely are better ways to provide data to rdlc, and i am also afraid that
    the skills needed to make RTC reports work in NAV 2009 will be worthless when the next version arrives
    but hopefully, microsoft won't waste all the effort we put in developing rdlc, and make the already developed reports useless.
    i am currently doing my third report, and i've learnt a lot. The effort i put in my three reports was much (7-10 working days) but this third report (which is harder than the first 2) will take a much time less. The learning curve is steep, but with some practice you can make some reports that should be really hard or nearly technically impossible than classic client. Moreover, reporting are faster than classic reports (i don't know why, but trust me :mrgreen: ).
    you're right when you say that we should learn more generally visual studio, but up to now, i think that a good rdlc skill "makes the difference".
    P.S.: you probably already know it, but running classic from rtc sucks up one license per user (which is running a classic report) as long as the preview is open
    -Mirko-
    "Never memorize what you can easily find in a book".....Or Mibuso
    My Blog