Preformence and filters

mabl4367mabl4367 Member Posts: 143
Hello experts!

I'm well aware of the fact that setting certain filters on a large table viewed in a form may be heavy on the system. Also scrolling through records when the filters are set might be slow. However there also seams to be a slowdown of our system when moving around the different fields of the sales order form in our system.

This slowdown only occurs when filters are set on the form. If I remove the filters and move around in the form there is no problem.

I can't see a reason why the system sould slow down since no new data needs do be filtered or displayed.

Does anyone have any ideas what's the cause of this slowdown? Is there any way to get rid of it?

Comments

• kapamaroukapamarou Member Posts: 1,152
    If you have rights to enable the debugger then you can set Breakpoint on triggers ON and start moving through cells in order to see if there is anything executed. Maybe there is some additional code written.
  • rhpntrhpnt Member Posts: 688
    It's a question asked too many times...

You didn't provide the basic info; Which version of NAV are you using and what kind and/or version of database does it run on?
  • mabl4367mabl4367 Member Posts: 143
    Navsision 3.70 on sql server 9.0.4053
  • rhpntrhpnt Member Posts: 688
    How big is the DB? What table are we talking about and how big is it (MB and/or number of records)?
  • Marije_BrummelMarije_Brummel Member, Moderators Design Patterns Posts: 4,262
    NAV 3.70 on SQL 2005? Are you sure?
    The whole thing is about 50GB but the size sould not matter when just moving around the fields of the same record and not scrolling through records. No data needs to be filtered or fetched. All that should be done is the change of focus on the controls of the form. Still filters seams to have an impact on this and I can't figure out why.
    Maby this version info is better
  • bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    yes, 3.70 but with 4.0 SP2 clients
    There are no bugs - only undocumented features.
    Yes that's right
    I have checked the code in the triggers of the form and there isn't much to find. Some fields hav code in the OnValidate triggers but that should not run when just pasing through the controls with no modifications made.
  • Marije_BrummelMarije_Brummel Member, Moderators Design Patterns Posts: 4,262
    The combination of SQL 2005 and Navision 4 had a lot of problems in the past.

I would reccomend upgrading to the latest executables your support contract allows you access to.

The higher the executable versions the better the performance will be.

But, test, test, test, and test again. When everything is tested, than test again...