Customize company selection screen

JosetxoJosetxo Member Posts: 92
Hello,

we are working with 8 subsidiaries, and would like to customize the company selection form: instead of showing the Company Name, is it possible to make it display an Alias (linked to the company name, of course).

Thanks in advance,
Josetxo

Comments

• rhpntrhpnt Member Posts: 688
    Why would you want to do such thing?
  • JosetxoJosetxo Member Posts: 92
    Hello,

I'd like to make it easier for the user to select a subsidiary. Instead of having this current menu:

CompanyName Scandinavia AB
    CompanyName INC
    CompanyName Pte Ltd.
    CompanyName LTD
    CompanyName SA
    CompanyName GmbH
    CompanyName Pty Ltd.

I think this menu, created with aliases, is easier for the user:

CompanyName Denmark
    CompanyName USA
    CompanyName Taiwan
    CompanyName Ireland
    CompanyName Italy
    CompanyName Germany
    CompanyName Mexico

The reason for not renaming the companies is that we want the reports to show the full company name instead of the aliases.

Is this possible?
    The company name on reports does not come from the company name in the DB but from the company information setup in the Administration menu - check it. So, go ahead with renaming (those current names are silly anyway :whistle: ).
  • kitikkitik Member Posts: 230
    rhpnt wrote:
    The company name on reports does not come from the company name in the DB but from the company information setup in the Administration menu - check it.

That's not right. Most reports use COMPANYNAME, so they show the DB name.
    Only "official" reports, like Invoice Books, use the Company Information Setup.

Salut!
    Laura Nicolàs
    Author of the book Implementing Dynamics NAV 2013
    Cursos Dynamics NAV (spanish) : http://clipdynamics.com/ - A new lesson released every day.
    kitik wrote:
    rhpnt wrote:
    The company name on reports does not come from the company name in the DB but from the company information setup in the Administration menu - check it.

That's not right. Most reports use COMPANYNAME, so they show the DB name.
    Only "official" reports, like Invoice Books, use the Company Information Setup.

Salut!

That's what I meant...but didn't write. :thumbsup:
    I have checked that some reports are taking the COMPANYNAME value instead of the value in the Company Information table. So we cannot change those "silly" names (rhpnt?).

We can change the company name, if it is not possible, we can change the reports.
    "That's what I meant...but didn't write. "

So you wrote exactly the opposite?
    Josetxo wrote:
    I have checked that some reports are taking the COMPANYNAME value instead of the value in the Company Information table. So we cannot change those "silly" names (rhpnt?).

We can change the company name, if it is not possible, we can change the reports.

In your case the report prints "INC" as a company name,right? So tell me, what is more descriptive "INC" or "USA" (or any other more descriptive name like "USA-INC",...)? Where's the problem?

You'd rather consider programmatically change the ERP by design than rename a company and give it a more descriptive name-even on your reports?

:-k
    I only asked if I could customize the company selection form. You keep asking me why, and why, giving me no answer to my question.
    If you do not know the answer to my question, or you do not want to answer it, there is no problem. Just leave it.
    If it can be done, and you know how, feel free to explain it. To me and to the rest of the people here.

Best regards.
    Josetxo wrote:
    I only asked if I could customize the company selection form. You keep asking me why, and why, giving me no answer to my question.
    If you do not know the answer to my question, or you do not want to answer it, there is no problem. Just leave it.
    If it can be done, and you know how, feel free to explain it. To me and to the rest of the people here.

Best regards.

Dear Josetxo,

most of the people (including myself) who provide answers on this forum are fulltime NAV consultants, developers with a lot of mileage in this business and product. As such we are bound to MSs "rules of engagement" for NAV which clearly state what can and what can't and what should or shouldn't be done. That's why I stick to my solution of renaming the company. It's a kind of professional distortion to ask many questions just to get to the bottom of every requirement to be able to provide the best and not the quickest solution.
  • matttraxmatttrax Member Posts: 2,309
    Josetxo wrote:

Mibuso is a community of people who help because they want to...for FREE.
    If you don't like how the people here approach solving problems then go to your NAV Partner and PAY them to do it.
  • DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,305
    It would be nice if all of us were to mind our manners though. Some people in this topic (and others) are quite rude.
    rhpnt:

Sorry if I misunderstood you. I was thinking that you were not going to answer me correctly (in fact, one the answers was not correct - sorry again) and I was not finding any reason on your answers for not adding an alias to the company selection screen. I did not interpret the renaming of the company as a solution proposal, and the "silly" names you were referring to are the names of our subisidiaries. Maybe it would not had happened if you had advised me against adding that alias field, that seemed to me a faster solution than renaming the companies.
    I apologize for the misunderstanding.

matttrax:
    This not the first time I ask for help in this forum, and very valuable information has been given to me here in the past. I think I have been very polite and grateful to the people that has helped me before (you have helped me before as well). It has been a misunderstanding between rhpnt and I.
    I like how the people here solves problems. I know it is free, but this is not the best part, the best part is that people here is good at solving NAV problems. At least most of them.

DenSter:
    I will mind my manners, even if I think I have not been rude in the topic. I've been polite and grateful before, and I repeat the misunderstading between rhpnt and I.
  • matttraxmatttrax Member Posts: 2,309
    Yeah, my apologies if I came off rude. I should have said something like "If you don't like the help you are getting here there are alternatives like your NAV Parnter."

Anyway...I don't think you should even want to modify the company selection window. You can train users, give them a "cheat sheet", rename the companies, use permissions to restrict the view. There are lots of options that don't require a strange code change.
    Josetxo wrote:
    rhpnt:

Sorry if I misunderstood you. I was thinking that you were not going to answer me correctly (in fact, one the answers was not correct - sorry again) and I was not finding any reason on your answers for not adding an alias to the company selection screen. I did not interpret the renaming of the company as a solution proposal, and the "silly" names you were referring to are the names of our subisidiaries. Maybe it would not had happened if you had advised me against adding that alias field, that seemed to me a faster solution than renaming the companies.
    I apologize for the misunderstanding.

matttrax:
    This not the first time I ask for help in this forum, and very valuable information has been given to me here in the past. I think I have been very polite and grateful to the people that has helped me before (you have helped me before as well). It has been a misunderstanding between rhpnt and I.
    I like how the people here solves problems. I know it is free, but this is not the best part, the best part is that people here is good at solving NAV problems. At least most of them.

DenSter:
    I will mind my manners, even if I think I have not been rude in the topic. I've been polite and grateful before, and I repeat the misunderstading between rhpnt and I.

No hard feelings - all cool. 8)

I understand that sometimes emotions can be stronger than reason, especially in our business where the level of pressure is often too much to bear.

My advice to you for the future - always look for a solution within the given options of NAV - changing the design programmaticaly always comes last! It's the right way BUT it's also the hardest. Be strong!
  • DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,305
    Josetxo wrote:
    DenSter:
    I will mind my manners, even if I think I have not been rude in the topic
    I was not talking about you (or Matt)