Print Serial Number in Purchase Order, Sales Invoice etc.,

arunjan387arunjan387 Member Posts: 32
When I create a Purchase Order for 5 Items, I need the Items to be listed with Serial Number on the Order Report (1 for Item1, 2 for Item2 and so on)[/u]. Can anyone help me on this question?
Thank you
Regards
B. ARUN
Senior Software Engineer
Coimbatore, Tamilnadu, India.
Phone: +919994947514 | email: arun.3187@gmail.com | Skype: arun3187

Comments

• kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    edited 2010-09-08
    You are ordering some specific serial nos.? I thought that vendor will decide which serial nos. will send you...

And if you look at Sales Shipment report, there is standard functionality which will print it when selected on request form...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,110
    [Topic moved from 'NAV Tips & Tricks' forum to 'NAV/Navision Classic Client' forum]
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!

• arunjan387arunjan387 Member Posts: 32
    Thank you very much for your reply... I meant the sequence numbers that we usually use when we write a list of items.

Example:

1. Apple
    2. Mango
    3. Grapes

A sequence of numbers like the above should be created for the list of items on the Invoice. By default, the Invoice Items are taken from Sales Invoice Line. So in addition to the Item Number, I would like to print this sequence. So can you suggest any idea on this?
    Thank you
    Regards
    B. ARUN
    Senior Software Engineer
  • vijay_gvijay_g Member Posts: 884
    Take a Variable SerialNo and increment it with every print body of item then show to SerialNo with item no(don't forget to initialize it with every doc no.).
    Thank you Vijay for your reply... I shall try your suggestion and come back to you... Have a Nice Day...
    Thank you
    Regards
    B. ARUN
    Senior Software Engineer
  • kitikkitik Member Posts: 230
    The var name SerialNo is used in the standard and it means something completely different. I suggest you to use another name, maybe Counter or LineCounter.

Salut!
    Laura Nicolàs
    Author of the book Implementing Dynamics NAV 2013
    Cursos Dynamics NAV (spanish) : http://clipdynamics.com/ - A new lesson released every day.
  • rhpntrhpnt Member Posts: 688
    arunjan387 wrote:
    When I create a Purchase Order for 5 Items, I need the Items to be listed with Serial Number on the Order Report (1 for Item1, 2 for Item2 and so on)[/u]. Can anyone help me on this question?

First you're mentioning purchase documents...
    arunjan387 wrote:
    Thank you very much for your reply... I meant the sequence numbers that we usually use when we write a list of items.
    Example:
    1. Apple
    2. Mango
    3. Grapes
    A sequence of numbers like the above should be created for the list of items on the Invoice. By default, the Invoice Items are taken from Sales Invoice Line. So in addition to the Item Number, I would like to print this sequence. So can you suggest any idea on this?

...then you're switching to sales and item lists. What now?
  • vaprogvaprog Member Posts: 1,139
    You should also consider wether you need the line counter on the printed order only or you will have to refere back to it later on invoice, shipment or reception. In that case you need to place a field in sales/purchaseline and the lines of the corresponding posted documents. You can set it either on insert of a line or on release of the document. In the former case the numbers might be out of order or contain gaps. The latter case causes problems it he user refered to a specific line in a text line.
    Thank you Mr/Ms rhpnt for your reply.

Now coming to your question about switching from Purchase Order to Invoice. My question is applicable in any type of documents related to Orders (Sales or Purchase). So i think you are not clear about that itself. So why don't you learn that first...
    Thank you
    Regards
    B. ARUN
    Senior Software Engineer
    arunjan387 wrote:
    Thank you Mr/Ms rhpnt for your reply.

Now coming to your question about switching from Purchase Order to Invoice. My question is applicable in any type of documents related to Orders (Sales or Purchase). So i think you are not clear about that itself. So why don't you learn that first...

The logic behind serial numbers in purchase or sales orders is very different (regardless of NAV). Just the fact that you want to implement "some kind of" S/N in orders is taking this logic to a level that is bigger than this forum can handle. Usually S/Ns are handled when items leave the warehouse or are received on stock. Putting them into orders (of any kind) involves strict item reservation and tracking. Are you sure you're on the right track here?
    I don't think he is talking about Serial Numbers or Item tracking. I think he just wants to print a line counter in documents, so everytime a document is printed the first item on the documents gents number 1.

Arujan, you should clarify what are your needs, or we are getting lost!

Salut!
    Laura Nicolàs
    Cursos Dynamics NAV (spanish) : http://clipdynamics.com/ - A new lesson released every day.
    kitik wrote:
    I don't think he is talking about Serial Numbers or Item tracking. I think he just wants to print a line counter in documents, so everytime a document is printed the first item on the documents gents number 1.

Arujan, you should clarify what are your needs, or we are getting lost!

Salut!

Or improve his english... #-o
    rhpnt wrote:

There is no need for this comment. We (Arujan, me and any other non-native english speaker) always try our best.
    Laura Nicolàs
    kitik wrote:
    rhpnt wrote:

There is no need for this comment. We (Arujan, me and any other non-native english speaker) always try our best.

Let me be clear, I didn't mean to insult anyone. My appologies if anyone feels insulted - seriously. But, like this post, there are many that are misleading because of bad english - fact. As for myself, english is not my native language, but we are in a business where the use of propper terms is key for providing quality support and/or solid solutions.
    It's ok rhpnt, I did not feel insulted! \:D/
    rhpnt wrote:
    we are in a business where the use of propper terms is key for providing quality support and/or solid solutions.

I completly agree :D but this is a technical forum to share knowledge with other colleagues, not a support site for customers. Most of us provide support to customers in our own native language, and yes, we need to use the propper terms so that anyone knows what we are talking about.

Salut!
    Laura Nicolàs
    Thank you Mr.Kitik. You got my question right. I am talking only about printing Line Counter and not about Serial Numbers or Item Tracking. So can you help me on that?
    Thank you
    Regards
    B. ARUN
    Senior Software Engineer
  • vijay_gvijay_g Member Posts: 884
    What problem you are getting with as i have described you earlier?
    arunjan387 wrote:
    Thank you Mr.Kitik
    You are welcome, but I'm a women :D

Read again all posts in this thread, because your question has already been anwered.

Salut!
    Laura Nicolàs
    Thank you Ms.Laura Nicolas... I shall try it and come back to you...
    Thank you
    Regards
    B. ARUN
    Senior Software Engineer