Italian exchange rates

Lec11Lec11 Member Posts: 91
Hello,

I want to extract automatically the daily exchange rates from the site of Banca D'Italia. I've downloaded the csv file (I believe that italians know about his file) with the daily exchange rates and now I want to manage this file in order to import the rates into Navision. My issue is with the separator between the records. If I open the file with Excel I can see each currency on a separate line, but if I open it as a text file it looks like there is no record separator.

Can some italian guy guide me in the right direction?

Thank you!

Answers

• rhpntrhpnt Member Posts: 688
    CSV files look the same all over the world. Are you talking about field or record separators?

If you "don't see" any field separators then the file is probably TAB separated. In many (or almost all) cases there really is no record separator because each record is in a new line.
  • Lec11Lec11 Member Posts: 91
    Hi ... thank for your answer!

Yes, I also thought about TAB separated file. And it is TAB because now I saved the file as "Text (tab delimited)" and I can see it properly in notepad.

But my issue is the following: I entered <TAB> as a record separator before and it didn't work. And still doesn't work ... neither with TAB or NewLine.
  • rhpntrhpnt Member Posts: 688
    Try it as a FieldSeparator...
  • Lec11Lec11 Member Posts: 91
    There is a field separator and it's comma (,).

Anyway, meanwhile I gave up using a dataport to import the csv. I used a bigtext variable to store the file and I searched only for the currencies I'm interested in.
  • vaprogvaprog Member Posts: 1,139
    The file has Unix style line separators. Use <LF> as the value for the RecordSeparator property.